Rich, moist double chocolate muffins made with oat flour, bananas and unrefined sugar are perfect for a healthyish breakfast or snack.
Full recipe and amounts can be found in the recipe card below.
- Flour. Instead of using only regular flour, I subbed out most of it for my beloved oat flour. I left a half a cup of flour because I find it gives more structure to the baked muffins.
- Oat flour.
- Baking powder.
- Bananas. The bananas have two roles in these muffins. They help sweeten them so that we don’t need as much sugar and they also act as a binding agent along with the eggs.
- Sugar. Instead of regular granulated sugar, try to find unrefined brown sugar or use a sweetener of your choice. Just keep in mind that maple syrup and honey will make the muffins a little stickier and will also alter the flavor.
- Oil. You could absolutely use melted butter in this recipe but I really prefer canola oil. Not only is the oil neutral in flavor, it also keeps these muffins moist for days.
- Cocoa powder.
- Dark chocolate.
How to make healthy chocolate muffins
- Make the batter: In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. Add the mashed banana, eggs, oil and chocolate. Mix until the batter is combined.
- Bake: Line a 12-hole muffin pan with paper liners and give each a light spray with non-stick cooking spray. Fill each cup 3/4 full with the muffin batter. Place in a preheated oven and allow to bake for 15-20 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before serving.
Making ahead and freezing:
- Make ahead: These muffins can be made up to 5 days ahead and kept covered in the fridge. Because there is no butter in this recipe, they won’t go hard and can be eaten straight out of the fridge.
- Freezing: Baked and cooled muffins can be frozen in suitable containers or freezer bags for up to 3 months. Allow to thaw completely before serving.
Healthyish double chocolate muffins
- ½ cup flour
- 1½ cups oat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup unrefined sugar
- 3 large bananas mashed
- 2 extra-large eggs
- ½ cup canola oil
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 180°/350°F and line a standard muffin pan with paper liners.
- Spray the liners lightly with cooking spray.
- Combine all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix until combined.
- Fill each muffin wrapper ¾ full.
- Place in the oven and allow to bake for 15-20 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before serving.