Rich, moist double chocolate muffins made with oat flour, bananas and unrefined sugar are perfect for a healthyish breakfast or snack.
I love when a healthyish recipe turns out so well, I don’t even miss the regular version. These double chocolate muffins are the perfect example. Swapping most of the flour for oat flour sugar for unrefined and bananas and butter for oil not only means these muffins are better for you, it also means they are so much more delicious. Unlike regular chocolate muffins that are pretty much just cake without frosting (let’s be honest), these have texture and attitude.
They are absolutely perfect for a grab-and-go breakfast option and will make excellent lunchbox fillers.
Ingredients needed for chocolate muffins
- Flour: Instead of using only regular flour, I subbed out most of it for my beloved oat flour. I left a half a cup of flour because I find it gives more structure to the baked muffins.
- Bananas and unrefined sugar: The bananas have two rolls in these muffins. They help sweeten them so that we don’t need as much sugar and they also act as a binding agent along with the eggs. Instead of sugar, try to find unrefined brown sugar or use a sweetener of your choice. Just keep in mind that maple syrup and honey will make the muffins a little stickier and will also alter the flavor.
- Oil and eggs: You could absolutely use melted butter in this recipe but I really prefer canola oil. Not only is the oil neutral in flavor, it also keeps these muffins moist for days. The eggs add a good boost of protein while keeping everything together.
- Cocoa powder and chocolate: Using unsweetened cocoa powder gives these muffins a serious kick of chocolate flavor. The dark chocolate is an optional extra but one that adds a boat-load of yum to these muffins.
- Baking powder and salt: Two regulars in every baked good. Baking powder adds lift which is especially necessary since the oat flour is a little heavier and the salt brings all the flavors together. Plus, salt makes chocolate taste even more chocolatey. So don’t skimp!
Making ahead and freezing:
- Make ahead: These muffins can be made up to 5 days ahead and kept covered in the fridge. Because there is no butter in this recipe, they won’t go hard and can be eaten straight out of the fridge.
- Freezing: Baked and cooled muffins can be frozen in suitable containers or freezer bags for up to 3 months. Allow to thaw completely before serving.
Healthyish double chocolate muffins
- ½ cup flour
- 1½ cups oat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup unrefined sugar
- 3 large bananas mashed
- 2 extra-large eggs
- ½ cup canola oil
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 180°/350°F and line a standard muffin pan with paper liners.
- Spray the liners lightly with cooking spray.
- Combine all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix until combined.
- Fill each muffin wrapper ¾ full.
- Place in the oven and allow to bake for 15-20 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before serving.