Juicy lemon herb chicken wings cooked on a grill is a smoky, finger-licking way to cook wings. Great as a snack, appetizer or easy meal served with creamy buttermilk dipping sauce.
Full recipe and amounts can be found in the recipe card below.
- Chicken wings. I split the wings into the wing tips and drummette.
- Olive oil.
- Lemon pepper.
- Lemon juice.
- Smoked paprika.
- Chilli / Red pepper flakes.
- Dried herbs. I used a general dry herb mix but any dried herbs you have will work. Oregano, parsley, sage, thyme and rosemary all work well with chicken.
- Garlic powder.
How to grill chicken wings
- Marinate the wings: Combine the oil, lemon juice and spices in a bowl and mix well. Add the chicken wings and toss to coat the wings. Cover and allow to marinade for at least 30 minutes up to 48 hours in the fridge.
- Fire up the grill: Preheat an outdoor grill / braai / barbecue for 5 minutes. You want the heat to be medium-high with a cooler spot to transfer the wings if they brown too quickly. A grill that can close with a lid is also a great idea because the trapped heat will cook the wings much quicker. Once the grill is ready, add the chicken wings and cook for 15-20 minutes, turning regularly, until the wings are cooked through and well-browned all over. Remove from the grill and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- Serve: Serve the chicken wings with lemon wedges or with a simple buttermilk dipping sauce. Combine buttermilk, mayonnaise, lemon juice and spices in a bowl and mix well. Serve with the grilled chicken wings.
Can I make lemon herb chicken wings in advance?
The chicken wings can be marinated up to 2 days in advance and kept covered in the fridge. Cooked wings will last for 2 days in the fridge.
Chicken wing recipes
Grilled lemon herb chicken wings
Juicy lemon herb chicken wings cooked on a grill is a smoky, finger-licking way to cook wings. Great as a snack, appetizer or easy meal.Print Pin Rate Add to Shopping ListGo to Shopping List
- 1 kg (2lbs) chicken wings
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon pepper
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp dried herbs (use any mixed dried herbs you have)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
For the buttermilk dipping sauce
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- pepper to taste
- Combine the marinade ingredients and mix well. Pour over the chicken wings and toss to coat the chicken wings in the marinade.
- Cover and allow to marinade for at least 30 minutes but up to 48 hours in the fridge.
- Preheat the grill for 5 minutes at medium-high heat. Place the chicken wings on the grill and allow to cook for 15-20 minutes, turning regularly, until the wings are well-browned all over and cooked through.
- Remove from the heat and allow to rest for 5 minute.
- To make the dipping sauce, combine the buttermilk, mayonnaise, lemon juice and spices in a bowl and mix well.
- Serve the wings with the dipping sauce and lemon wedges.
Calories: 376kcal | Carbohydrates: 2g | Protein: 31g | Fat: 27g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 128mg | Sodium: 511mg | Potassium: 284mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 434IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 23mg | Iron: 2mg
The chicken wings were absolutely delicious! Thank you Alida. Wasn’t too fussed with the sauce though, and the wings had so much flavor they really didn’t need any sort of sauce.
yummy chicken wings.