This deliciously moist and fragrant almond yoghurt grapefruit cake filled with whipped cream is an easy recipe to make for a tea time treat.
I have recently lost my love for a good piece of cake. Numerous disappointments at bakeries and restaurants left me feeling uninspired and bored and I chose doughnuts, tarts and pastries instead. But then I was browsing through my blog the other day (as you do) and stumbled upon this killer Passionfruit yoghurt cake with white chocolate drizzle and my heart skipped a beat.
I remember how intensely flavoursome it was, the crumb was so delicate and it was just a winner all around. Right then I decided to bake the cake again. But alas, I had no passion fruit. What I did have, however, was an abundance of grapefruit I had picked up from my green grocer that morning. And so, the idea for this grapefruit cake was born.
I’ve been wanting to make a grapefruit cake for a while and thought that the yoghurt-base of my favourite recipe would work quite well. As I was gathering all the ingredients, I spotted the ground almonds in the pantry and decided to wing it and add some of that too. I mean, why not?
I absolutely love using ground almonds (or almond flour) in baked goods. Not only does it add wonderful texture but it also keeps the cake beautifully moist (cringe! Hate that word). So in it went along with the rest of the ingredients. I grated in the zest of 1 grapefruit and then decided to add the juice as well, to add a slight hint of bitterness to the batter. I couldn’t resist and dipped my finger in to the batter before the cake went into the oven and it was absolutely delicious.
As the cake baked, the entire house was filled with the zesty, almost floral scent of this cake and my mouth was literally watering. I didn’t want to cover this cake in a heavy frosting so instead, decided to sandwich the two layers together with lightly sweetened whipped cream. I also made a grapefruit syrup which I drizzled over the cake and topped the cake at the last minute with fresh grapefruit segments. The end result was this stunning cake. Light, fragrant and simply delicious.
Have you tried this grapefruit cake recipe? Leave a comment or rate the recipe below.
Grapefruit & Almond yoghurt cake with whipped cream
- 1 1/3 cup flour
- 1 cup ground almonds/almond flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup plain Greek yoghurt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- juice and zest of 1 grapefruit
for the grapefruit syrup
- 1 cup grapefruit juice juice of approximately 2 large grapefruit
- 1/2 cup sugar
for the whipped cream
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- Grapefruit segments for serving
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°c then grease and line 2 x 22cm cake pans.
- Whisk together the flour, almonds, salt and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl/jug, whisk together the sugar, eggs, yoghurt, oil and grapefruit zest and juice.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix to combine.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pans then place into the oven.
- Allow to bake for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Remove the cakes from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes in the pans before turning out onto wire racks to cool completely.
- In the meantime, combine the grapefruit juice and syrup in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer. Allow to simmer for 5 minutes then remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- When the cakes are cool, drizzle a tablespoon of syrup over each cake.
- Whip the cream with the sugar until stiff peaks form then sandwich the cakes together.
- Right before serving, top the cake with the grapefruit segments and a drizzle of syrup.