These healthyish lemon poppy seed muffins made with oat flour are a delicious and easy breakfast or snack recipe. Perfect for making ahead!
How to make healthyish lemon poppy seed muffins
To make these muffins a little healthier, I swap out some of the flour for oat flour. The oat flour adds texture and extra fiber. Plain yogurt and canola oil replace the need for butter. These muffins aren’t overly sweet and I like using unrefined sugar instead of regular granulated sugar. You could use xylitol or any other sweetener of your choice. Honey and maple syrup could make the muffins a little sticky so be sure to spray the muffin cases with cooking spray if using.
The batter can be made in one bowl making the recipe even easier. Whisk oat flour, regular flour, baking powder, salt and sugar with canola oil, eggs, egg yolks, yogurt, poppy seeds and lemon zest. Mix until the batter is smooth and creamy. Line a muffin pan with paper liners then fill the cups 3/4 of the way full. Place in the oven and bake at 180ºC/350ºF for 20-25 minutes until the muffins are risen, golden brown and a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Once baked, the muffins can be cooled and then drizzled with lemon glaze but this is optional.
Making ahead and freezing
- How to store muffins: These muffins can be kept in an airtight container for up to 5 days in the fridge. Allow to come to room temperature before serving.
- Can you freeze muffins? Baked and cooled muffins can be transferred to a ziploc bag and frozen for up to 3 months. Thaw at room temperature before serving.
How to make muffins moist
The addition of canola oil, plain yogurt and the extra egg yolk means these muffins are tender and moist and will stay that way for up to 5 days.
- Healthyish double chocolate muffins
- Spiced apple muffins with honey butter
- Easy healthy blueberry muffins
- Healthy chocolate chip banana oat muffins
Healthyish lemon poppy seed muffins
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1 cup flour regular/all purpose
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cup unrefined sugar
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- zest of 2 lemons
- 3 extra-large eggs + 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp milk
Lemon glaze (optional)
- 5 tbsp icing sugar sifted
- 1-2 tbsp lemon juice °C (depending on how thick/thin you want the glaze)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F and line a 12-hole muffin pan with paper liners.
- Whisk all the dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. Add the wet ingredients and whisk until the batter is smooth and creamy.
- Fill muffin liners 3/4 of the way full. Place in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove the baked muffins from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- Whisk together the glaze ingredients then drizzle over the cooled muffins.