Table of Contents
- 0.1 Boozy Irish coffee milkshakes are the perfect grown-up treat for St. Patrick’s Day topped with whipped cream and coffee syrup.
- 1 How to make Irish coffee milkshake
- 2 Is there any alcohol in an Irish coffee?
- 3 Irish coffee milkshake
- 4 Frozen hot chocolate
Boozy Irish coffee milkshakes are the perfect grown-up treat for St. Patrick’s Day topped with whipped cream and coffee syrup.
Boozy milkshakes are a grown-up treat to swoon over. And yes, of course you can make these Irish coffee shakes without the alcohol and they will be just as delicious. But if you’re looking for the perfect, whimsical way to end off a dinner party or your St. Patrick’s Day festivities, this is it!
Vanilla ice cream, strong coffee, a shot or two of whiskey is all it takes to make the milkshake. I made chocolate coffee syrup to swirl around the glass and to decorate the milkshake with which adds even more coffee intensity. And let’s face it, a milkshake just looks prettier with a swirl on the inside of the glass, right? Top with ALL of the whipped cream and more syrup and enjoy!
How to make Irish coffee milkshake
To make the syrup, cook sugar, coffee, water, cocoa powder and a pinch of salt in a saucepan until reduced and thickened. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Place vanilla ice cream, cooled strong coffee, milk and whiskey in a blender and blend until smooth. Swirl the cooled syrup into chilled glasses then pour in the Irish coffee milkshake, top with whipped cream, more syrup and serve.
Is there any alcohol in an Irish coffee?
Yes. Irish coffee traditionally contains whiskey. However, if you wanted to make these milkshakes without alcohol, you can definitely omit the whiskey.
Irish coffee milkshake
For the coffee chocolate syrup
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup strong coffee
- 1 tbsp good quality cocoa powder
- ½ cup sugar
- pinch of salt
For the milkshake
- 2 cups vanilla ice cream
- ½ cup espresso
- ¼ cup whiskey (optional)
- ½ cup milk
- whipped cream to serve
- To make the syrup, combine all the ingredients in a saucepan and allow to come to a simmer. Cook until the syrup has reduced and thickened. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- To make the milkshake, combine all the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Swirl the coffee syrup into chilled glasses. Pour in the milkshake and top with whipped cream and more syrup. Serve immediately.