Pasta bake recipes are perfect to make ahead and this creamy spinach artichoke pasta bake is delicious as a vegetarian dinner.
Table of Contents
Full recipe and amounts can be found in the recipe card below.
- Spinach. I used fresh but you can use frozen too. Just allow to thaw and squeeze out excess moisture.
- Cream. Heavy/whipping.
- Sour cream.
- Cornstarch mixed with milk.
- Parmesan cheese.
- Lemon juice.
- Salt and pepper.
- Pasta. I used fusilli but any short pasta will work.
How to make spinach artichoke pasta bake
- Make the sauce: Saute onions and garlic in butter over medium high heat until soft and translucent. Add chopped spinach then cook until wilted. Pour in the cream, sour cream and cornstarch mixed with milk. Allow to simmer for 5 minute then add the chopped artichokes, Parmesan cheese, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Cook the pasta and combine with the sauce: Cook pasta (fusilli, penne pasta, rigatoni or ziti) in a large pot of salted boiling water until al dente. Add cooked pasta to the sauce and stir to coat the pasta. Transfer the pasta to a baking dish and top with grated mozzarella cheese.
- Bake: Place in the oven and allow to bake until golden brown and bubbling. Remove from the oven and allow to stand for 5 minutes before serving.
How long to bake pasta
If using pre-cooked noodles, pasta bake needs to bake for approximately 20-25 minutes until golden brown and hot throughout. If using raw noodles or pasta, bake for 30-45 minutes until the pasta is cooked through.
Can you freeze pasta bake
Pasta bake freezes really well. Assemble pasta bake in foil containers (they freeze perfectly and can go from freezer to oven) then cover with a layer of parchment paper and wrap well with foil. Freeze for up to 4 months and bake directly from frozen until golden brown and bubbling.
Pasta bake recipes
- Pizza pasta bake
- Classic baked mac and cheese
- Creamy mushroom pasta bake
- Easy cheese and tomato pasta bake
Spinach artichoke pasta bake
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 400 g (+- 1 lb) baby spinach roughly chopped
- 1 cup heavy or whipping cream
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 cup milk mixed with 1 tbsp cornstarch
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 150 g (5oz) artichoke hearts (in oil) drained and quartered
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 500 g (+- 1 lb) pasta (fusilli, penne, ziti or rigatoni)
- 1 cup grated mozzarella
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/350°F.
- Saute onion and garlic in butter in a large frying pan or skillet until soft and translucent.
- Add spinach and allow to wilt. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the cream, sour cream and milk and cornstarch mixture into the pan and allow to simmer over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the artichokes, Parmesan and lemon juice then simmer for another 5 minutes. Season to taste.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil then cook the pasta until almost al dente (approximately 10 minutes). The pasta will continue cooking in the oven.
- Drain the pasta (reserving 1 cup of water) and mix with the spinach sauce. Add a few tablespoons of pasta cooking water and mix well.
- Transfer the pasta to a baking dish and top with the mozzarella cheese.
- Place in the oven until golden brown and bubbling.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.