This creamy mushroom pasta bake is the perfect comforting vegetarian casserole for easy weeknight dinners. Make ahead and freeze for no-fuss meals!
Creamy mushroom anything is a hit in our house. This pasta bake is no different and whenever I make it, I know there will be clean plates all around.
The beauty of this creamy mushroom pasta bake is that it’s the perfect meatless meal especially if you prep it ahead. I often make it the day before and just keep it in the fridge or freeze in freezer-safe foil containers. Simply bake from frozen and dinner is served!
How do you make creamy mushroom sauce?
Melt butter in a large pan then cook mushrooms until golden brown. Add garlic and cream and mix well. Add cornstarch mixed with milk and allow to simmer until the sauce has thickened. Add fresh lemon juice, chopped chives and season generously.
How do you make creamy mushroom pasta bake?
Make easy creamy mushroom sauce then stir in cooked pasta of your choice. Mix well then add sour cream and mix again. Top with grated mozzarella cheese and bake until golden brown and crisp on top.
How do you thicken creamy mushroom sauce?
Mix cornflour/cornstarch with milk or water and add to the sauce. Allow to cook until thick. Alternatively, you can use a roux (butter and flour cooked together) based sauce like bechamel and simply add cooked mushrooms to the sauce.
Creamy mushroom pasta bake
- 2 tbsp butter
- 6 cups mushrooms halved (approximately 500g)
- 2 tsp garlic crushed
- 1 cup cream (heavy or whipping)
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tbsp corn flour/corn starch
- 2-3 tbsp lemon juice (to taste)
- ½ cup chives chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 500 g pasta of your choice cooked (approximately 1lb)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese grated
- Pre-heat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF.
- Melt the butter in a large, oven-proof pan then cook the mushrooms until golden brown. Add the garlic and fry for 30 seconds.
- Mix together the milk and corn flour/corn starch.
- Add the cream and milk mixture to the mushrooms and allow to cook until thickened.
- Add lemon juice, chives and season to taste.
- Add the cooked pasta and stir well then mix in the sour cream. Top with grated mozzarella and place in the oven.
- Bake until golden brown and crisp (approximately 20 minutes).