Chicken baked with white wine, garlic and herbs

White wine, herb and garlic baked chicken

When you are in search of a quick but absolutely scrumptious dinner, look no further. I made these chicken thighs a few nights ago when I had an incredibly hectic day and needed to get dinner on the table, quickly. This is actually the way I love to roast whole chickens the most with the wine, garlic and herbs flavouring the chicken in the most delectable way. However, I just didn’t have time to wait around for a whole chicken to roast so I grabbed a few thighs instead. They were teeny tiny as well so they roasted in no time.

herbs for chicken

I had a few punnets of fresh herbs in the fridge that needed using  up so I used sage, parsley, rosemary and thyme, a few cloves of garlic and a good glug of sauvignon blanc. The end result was the type of recipe that makes you lick your plate. The sauce it forms is so good, in fact, that I ate it by the spoonful. I served this with steamed broccoli and a loaf of crusty baguette to mop up all the juices. Simply delicious.

White wine, herb and garlic baked chicken

Chicken baked with white wine, garlic and herbs

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Author:
Recipe type: Chicken, Dinner,
Serves: 4
Ingredients
  • 8 chicken thighs (skin on and bone in)
  • olive oil/butter for frying
  • 3 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
  • 250ml white wine
  • large handful mixed fresh herbs, chopped (I used sage, parsley, thyme and rosemary)
  • splash of cream (approximately 50-100ml)
  • salt & pepper to taste
Instructions
  1. Pre-heat the oven to 200°c.
  2. In a large, oven-proof frying pan, melt the butter/heat the oil and fry the chicken until golden brown all over.
  3. Remove from the pan then add the garlic and allow to fry for a few seconds then pour in the wine, herbs and cream.
  4. Add the chicken back to the pan then season to taste and place in the oven.
  5. Allow to bake for 15-20 minutes until cooked through but still juicy.
  6. Serve with rice/bread to mop up the juices.

• Adele

This looks really good. How much wine should I use with a whole chicken?

Adele, you could use the same amount but of course if you want more sauce, you could use more.

• Mari

I made this dish last night, it was really lovely! I put the chicken in the oven for a full hour though, as I thought the specified cooking time was maybe a bit short.
    The sauce was FABULOUS with a crusty French loaf.

• AvocadoPesto

Sounds like such a simple yet delicious recipe! Love it and just shared it on my blog in a post where I share my favorite recipe finds from the week : ))

It absolutely it! Thanks for the share!

• Michael Allen

Wow… this was fantastic. Rich and creamy, but not too much so. The freshly chopped herbs really elevated the dish to another level. I served it with sugar snap peas sautéed in olive oil, garlic, fresh black peppercorn, and sea salt, with a butter leftover multigrain boule for grains. This one is certainly a keeper in my book! :)

• Nosh

This was deeeelish!!! Added some fresh basil as well and sopped the juices with crusty french bread…divine!

• Becky

What kind of cream do you
    use?

I used Heavy cream.

• Sharon Clarke-Myrie

I do not have cream…Can I make it with out it

You could but the end result won’t be as delicious without it.

• Mari D.

I’d like to make this for dinner tonight but I don’t have any heavy cream. Can you recommend a suitable substitution?

Mari, any cream would do. You could use yoghurt but take care not to allow it to boil as that will cause it to curdle.