The best dessert to serve on a cold day, this hot chocolate baked pudding cake is a chocolate lovers dream and is delicious served with ice cream. It’s good for serving a crowd too and can be made in advance.
If you love sticky toffee- or malva pudding (a South African classic), you will love this hot chocolate baked pudding. Cake-like in texture and drenched in a sticky, cocoa-infused syrup, it’s guaranteed to be a crowd favorite.
Table of Contents
- Butter. I used salted butter but unsalted butter can be used too.
- Chocolate. I used 70% dark chocolate but use any chocolate of your choice.
- Baking powder.
- Unsweetened Cocoa powder.
- Hot coffee.
- Vanilla extract.
How to make hot chocolate pudding cake
- Using a stand mixer is great for this recipe as you can work a lot of air into the eggs and sugar without much effort. This will give the baked pudding an airy, light texture. You can do this by using a large bowl and a whisk too.
- Prevent over-working the batter once the flour is added. Sift in the dry ingredients then mix in until just combined.
- For a more brownie-like end result, under bake the pudding by 5-7 minutes.
- Pouring the syrup/chocolate sauce over the dessert as it comes out of the oven allows it to absorb more of the syrup. You can also serve extra syrup on the side for drizzling.
Freezing and making ahead
- Freezing: This recipe freezes very well. Bake the pudding in a foil container then pour over the syrup. Allow to cool completely before wrapping well with foil. Allow to freeze for up to 3 months. Bake from frozen until warmed through then serve.
- Making ahead: Make the pudding up to 2 days ahead, keep covered in the fridge. Warm in a hot oven and serve.
- Chocolate cream pie
- Easy fudgy chocolate brownies
- Flourless chocolate cake
- Easy dulce de leche chocolate cake
Baked hot chocolate pudding
- ½ cup butter
- 100 g (3½oz) chocolate
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 extra-large eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup hot coffee (1tsp instant coffee in ½ cup hot water or ½ cup strong brewed coffee)
- 1 tsp vanilla
For the syrup
- 1 cup water
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp butter
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F and grease a baking dish.
- Melt the chocolate and butter together then allow to cool slightly.
- Whip the eggs and sugar together until pale and fluffy. Stir in the cooled chocolate mixture.
- Sift the dry ingredients into the chocolate mixture.
- Mix in the hot coffee and vanilla.
- Pour the batter into the prepared dish and place in the oven.
- Allow to bake for 25-30 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- While the pudding is baking, combine all the syrup ingredients and bring to a simmer. Allow to simmer for 5 minutes then remove from the heat.
- Pour the syrup over the pudding as soon as it's out of the oven and allow to absorb. You can poke a few holes into the pudding with a toothpick to allow the syrup to soak properly.
- Allow the pudding to stand for 10 minutes then serve with ice cream.