Gooey baked Brie cheese topped with berry compote is the perfect festive appetizer and make a fantastic centerpiece to a cheeseboard.
Baked cheese is the appetizer I revert back to all the time. It’s easy, completely delicious and a total crowd favorite. There are very few people who can resist ooey-gooey melted cheese served with crusty bread.
I love serving this baked brie with easy berry compote made with frozen berries. Make it the centerpiece of your cheeseboard and serve with baked baguette/crostini, fresh fruit and other cheeses for the ultimate festive appetizer.
How do you make baked brie?
Place a round brie in a suitable baking vessel (I like to use a round dish just big enough for the cheese to fit in so that if the cheese rind bursts the cheese won’t melt all over a baking sheet). Cut a diamond pattern into the top of the brie and at this point you can push thin slithers of garlic and herbs like thyme, rosemary and sage into the cuts. Place the cheese in the oven and allow to bake until the cheese is completely melted then remove and serve.
How long do you put Brie in the oven?
At 200ºC/400ºF the brie should only need 8-10 minutes in the oven, depending on its size. The brie is ready when the cheese is completely melted.
What do you eat with baked brie?
You can treat the baked brie like fondue and serve with any of the following:
- Crusty bread
- Toasted baguette slices
- Fresh fruit
Berry baked Brie
- 1 round Brie cheese (I used a small one but you can use any size you want)
For the berry compote
- 3 cups frozen mixed berries
- 1-2 tbsp sugar/sugar substitute of your choice
- 1-2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 rosemary stalk
- Crostini/Toasted baguette
- Cheeses of your choice
- Pre-heat the oven to 200ºC/400ºF.
- To make the berry compote, combine all the ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Allow to simmer for 10 minutes or until the sauce has thickened slightly. Remove the rosemary and set aside.
- Score the top of the Brie cheese in a diamond pattern then place into a suitable baking dish. Cast iron skillets or ceramic baking dishes work well.
- Place the cheese in the oven and allow to bake for 10-15 minutes until the cheese is bubbling.
- Remove the cheese from the oven then serve topped with the berry compote with crostini/baguette.