Classic banana bread spiced up with cinnamon and soft brown sugar delivers a loaf so good, you won’t be able to stop at just one slice. Guaranteed!
Full recipe and amounts can be found in the recipe card below.
- Brown sugar.
- Bananas. Make sure the bananas you are using are soft and quite bruised. The softer and riper the bananas, the better the banana bread will be.
- Baking powder.
How to make cinnamon banana bread
- Make the batter: Preheat the oven and line a loaf pan with parchment paper. Cream together room temperature butter and soft, brown sugar until pale and fluffy. Add the eggs, mixing well after each addition. Use over-ripe bananas (the blacker, the better) and add to the batter. At this point, the batter will look split and curdled but don’t worry, the moment you add the dry ingredients it will come together. Sift in the flour, cinnamon, baking powder/baking soda and salt. Mix until just combined and the batter is smooth and creamy.
- Bake: Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Top with the cinnamon sugar mixture and place in the oven. Allow to bake for 45 minutes to an hour or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before slicing and serving.
How to store banana bread
Wrap baked and cooled banana bread in parchment paper or foil and place in an airtight container to prevent it from drying out. You can also keep your banana bread in the fridge for up to a week. Allow to come to room temperature before serving.
Can you freeze banana bread?
Yes, banana bread freezes very well. Wrap baked and cooled banana bread tightly in a layer of parchment paper and then foil. Place in a freezer-safe container or freezer bag and freeze for up to 3 months. You can also freeze slices of banana bread in the same way.
Banana bread recipes:
Brown sugar cinnamon banana bread
- 125 g (½ cup) butter room temperature
- 200 g (1 cup) brown sugar I used muscavado sugar
- 2 extra-large eggs
- 6 (approximately 350g) large bananas (the blacker they are, the better)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 250 g (2 cups) flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- pinch of salt
for the topping
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pre-heat the oven to 180ºC/350°F and grease and line a standard loaf tin (approx 20cmx12cm) with baking paper.
- In the bowl of a mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy then add the eggs one a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add the bananas and vanilla extract and mix well.
- Sift together the dry ingredients and stir into the batter.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared loaf tin.
- Mix together the sugar and cinnamon for the topping and sprinkle over the banana bread.
- Place the tin in the oven and allow to bake for 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool before serving.