Banana bread is a classic family favorite. Overly ripe bananas contributes to the intense banana-flavor and deliciously moist crumb.
Full recipe and amounts can be found in the recipe card below.
- Baking powder.
- Baking soda.
How to make banana bread?
- The secret ingredient: The secret to the best banana bread is rotten bananas. Yep, you read right. A slightly overripe banana will not do and don’t even bring a perfectly ripe banana near the batter. You want bananas with pretty much completely black skins. The blacker, the better. And that black skin is probably going to result in a pretty gross, mushy, almost slimy banana. I know, it’s not always easy to work with ingredients that are overripe, but be strong and just get on with it. Because the end result is SO worth it. The thing is that as a banana ages, and ripens, the sugars caramelize. That’s where that intense banana flavor we are after comes from. It’s pretty much like adding banana essence to your batter, without having to.
- Make the batter: Beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, mixing well after each addition then beat in the bananas and vanilla. At this stage the mixture will look curdled but don’t worry, it will come together once you add the dry ingredients. Stir in the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Bake: Transfer the batter to a lined loaf pan the place in a preheated oven and bake for 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before slicing and serving.
How to ripen bananas for banana bread?
Pop them into the freezer! The skins will go black and when you defrost them, they will be soft and mushy.
Storing and freezing instructions
- Storing: Allow the baked bread to cool completely. Wrap in foil and keep on the counter for up to 2 days or in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Freezing: This bread freezes incredibly well. Slices are great to freeze since they thaw quickly and you don’t need to thaw the entire loaf. Slice into thick slices then freeze in freezer bags or wrap in a double layer of foil and freeze for up to 4 months. Alternatively, freeze the entire loaf in the same way and allow to thaw completely before slicing and serving.
Banana bread recipes
- Easy healthy banana bread
- Greek yogurt banana bread
- Brown sugar cinnamon banana bread
- Peanut butter swirl banana bread
Classic banana bread
- ½ cup (125g) butter room temperature
- 1 cup (200g) sugar
- 2 eggs
- 6 bananas (350g) very soft bananas mashed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups (250g) flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- Pre-heat the oven to 180ºC/350°F and grease and line a standard size loaf tin (approximatley 20cmx12cm / 9" x 5") with baking paper.
- In the bowl of a mixer, beat the butter and sugar together until light and creamy. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Scrape down the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- Beat in the bananas. At this point, your batter will split and look curdled. Don't be alarmed, the flour will fix that.
- Add the dry ingredients then mix until just combined.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared loaf tin and place in the oven.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Cover with foil halfway to prevent over browning.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool before removing the banana bread from the tin.
- Slice and serve.