This easy bagel breakfast sandwich with cheesy eggs and spinach is the perfect breakfast recipe. It’s great as a breakfast for one but can easily be scaled to feed a crowd.
Table of Contents
This bagel breakfast sandwich recipe is so simple to make and the perfect quick and easy breakfast recipe. I made a scrambled omelette and added loads of fresh baby spinach, cheese and spring onion/green onion for flavor. If you have fresh bagels, there’s no need to toast them but day-old or frozen bagels will definitely be better once toasted.
- Fresh spinach.
- Salt and black pepper.
- Butter/olive oil.
- Bagels. I used sesame bagels but use any bagels you love. Everything bagels, whole wheat, poppy seed, etc. will all be delicious.
- Cheese. Cheddar cheese, Monterey Jack, Gouda, American cheese, Havarti and Fontina are all good choices.
What else can I add to this breakfast sandwich?
Breakfast sausage, slices of ham, smoked salmon and bacon/turkey bagel are all good options if you’d like to add extra protein to your sandwich. Adding a few tablespoons of cottage cheese to the scrambled egg is also a great idea to boost the protein in this recipe. Mushrooms, tomato slices, avocado, arugula and red onions are great vegetables to add.
How to make a bagel breakfast sandwich
Crack the eggs into a medium bowl and add a splash of milk or cream. Beat with a whisk or fork. In a large pan or skillet set over medium heat, add a tablespoon of butter then add the spinach. Cook until wilted then pour in the eggs and season generously with salt and pepper. Gently stir the eggs, allowing a loose omelette of sorts to form. Once the eggs are almost cooked, add the cheese then allow to melt.
Toast the bagel then transfer the eggs to the toasted bagel. Add more spinach and cheese (optional) then slice and serve immediately.
Can I make this ahead?
You can! Make the sandwich as directed then wrap in a layer of parchment paper and a layer of foil. The sandwich can be stored in the fridge for up to 2 days and reheated in an air fryer or in the oven until hot throughout.
Easy breakfast recipes
Cheesy egg bagel breakfast sandwich
- 6 eggs
- 4 tbsp milk/cream
- 1-2 tsp salt to taste
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2-3 cups baby spinach
- 2 bagels halved
- 1 cup grated cheese (or 4 slices of American cheese)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk/cream, salt and pepper.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium heat then melt the butter.
- Add the spinach and allow to wilt then pour in the eggs.
- Scramble gently, allowing a loose omelette to form.
- Once the eggs are almost cooked, add the cheese then allow to melt.
- While the eggs are cooking, toast the bagel.
- To serve, transfer the eggs to the bagel and add more fresh spinach or cheese (optional).
- Serve immediately.