Crispy, homemade chicken nuggets are sure to be a hit with kids and adults alike. Who could resist crunchy, golden nuggets of joy?! No one, that’s who!
Listen, I know chicken nuggets are traditionally known to be kids’ food. THESE nuggets though? Of course kids will love them but when I made these for the first time, they disappeared incredibly quickly and there was not a child in sight. And I mean, what’s not to love? Juicy nuggets of crispy, golden chicken? Uh, yes please! They are great served simply with ketchup but they’re even better when you add honey mustard sauce to dip as you go.
- Chicken. Boneless skinless chicken breasts. Boneless thighs can be substituted.
- Flour. Substitute with gluten-free flour if needed.
- Garlic powder.
- Onion powder.
- Salt and pepper.
How to make chicken nuggets
- Bread the chicken: Slice the chicken breasts into bite-sized chunks. Combine flour, paprika, garlic powder, onion power, salt and black pepper in a shallow medium bowl and whisk together with a fork. In a separate bowl, whisk eggs. Coat the chicken pieces first in the flour then in the egg mixture and again in the flour. For a thicker coating, repeat the breading step.
- Fry: Fry the chicken nuggets in batches in hot oil until golden brown and crispy, approximately 5-7 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and allow to drain on a large baking sheet lined with paper towels.
- Baking: If you prefer baking the nuggets, coat the chicken in seasoned bread crumbs instead of flour (panko breadcrumbs add great crunch) after coating in egg. Place the breaded chicken on a wire rack and drizzle with oil. Bake for 10-15 minutes at 220ºC/430ºF until golden brown and crisp.
Can I make chicken nuggets in the air fryer?
Absolutely. I wouldn’t recommend coating them in flour as the final step though as the flour won’t cook the same way in the air fryer as it does in hot oil. Instead, coat the chicken in flour, egg and then in seasoned breadcrumbs. Drizzle over a little olive oil and cook in the air fryer for 15 minutes at 180ºC/350ºF until crisp and golden.
Freezing and making ahead
- Freezing: Bread chicken nuggets per instructions then place on a baking sheet in a single layer. Freeze until solid then transfer to a freezer bag and freeze for up to 3 months. Fry from frozen until golden brown and crisp.
- Make ahead: Cooked nuggets can be kept in the fridge for up to 3 days and reheated in a hot oven until warmed through.
What to serve with chicken nuggets
Chicken nuggets are delicious simply served with a dipping sauce (BBQ sauce and Ranch dressing are always a good idea) but make a great meal when served with French fries, potato wedges or a salad.
- Easy oven baked fries
- Spicy garlic baked potato wedges
- Easy creamy curried macaroni salad
- Cucumber, tomato and red onion salad
Crispy chicken recipes
- Crispy chicken pops
- Baked cornflake chicken
- Crispy Chicken Schnitzel
- Corn flake crusted chicken strips with honey mustard sauce
Homemade chicken nuggets
- 500 g (1lb) chicken breasts sliced into bite sized chunks
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1½ tsp garlic powder
- 1½ tsp onion powder
- 1½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 3 eggs
- Heat vegetable oil in a large pot.
- Whisk together the flour and spices in a shallow bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs together.
- Coat the chicken first in the flour, then in the eggs and finally in the flour again. For a thicker coating, repeat the breading.
- Fry the chicken nuggets in the oil until golden brown and crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon then drain on kitchen paper before serving.
Can you freeze these? If so, how would you reheat them?
You can. I would freeze them after breading and cook from frozen. If you want to freeze the already cooked nuggets reheating them in an air fryer will probably be best.
Am going to try it for my first cause they look so delicious and yummy
By the way am student who loves cooking and baking
And I will love to try it and give you some reviews
Thanks for the recipe ??
I made this and it was so easy, shame I didn’t have the right size tin, but I still made it work. Struggled to get it out like but I got there in the end too lol.
Any idea on how many calories 1 contains?
Can I use bread crumbs instead of flour
Yes, you can.
These look amazing!!
Can I substitute the flour if I’m cutting down on carbs?
This is the first time Im making chicken nuggets..and it was amazing..my family loved it especially the kids! thank u so much for the recipe.
Amazing. It’s only a pleasure.
I meant corn starch….not baking soda!
🙂 Yes corn starch will definitely add to the crispiness.
What type of oil and how much (inches deep?) do you recommend?
Does the addition of baking soda add to the crispiness? And how much?
Love your blog and so many of your recipes!….Thank You!
Enough to deep fry. You could use corn starch but it’s really not necessary.
Thanks! Which type of oil?
Any vegetable oil or Canola oil will work.
These look so scrumptious! At what temp would you bake from frozen? Thank you!
At around 220 degrees celsius / 430 degrees Fahrenheit.