Crispy, homemade chicken nuggets are sure to be a hit with kids and adults alike. Who could resist crunchy, golden nuggets of joy?! No one, that’s who!
Listen, I know chicken nuggets are traditionally known to be kids’ food. THESE nuggets though? Of course kids will love them but when I made these for the first time, they disappeared incredibly quickly and there was not a child in sight. And I mean, what’s not to love? Juicy nuggets of crispy, golden chicken? Uh, yes please! They are great served simply with ketchup but they’re even better when you add honey mustard sauce to dip as you go.
Full recipe and amounts can be found in the recipe card below.
- Chicken. Boneless, skinless chicken breasts.
- Garlic powder.
- Onion powder.
- Salt and pepper.
How to make chicken nuggets
- Bread the chicken: Slice chicken into bite-sized chunks. Combine flour, paprika, garlic powder, onion power, salt and black pepper in a shallow bowl and whisk together with a fork. In a separate bowl, whisk eggs. Coat the chicken first in the flour then in the egg and finally in the flour.
- Fry: Fry the chicken nuggets in hot oil until golden brown and crispy, approximately 5-7 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and allow to drain on kitchen paper.
- Baking: If you prefer baking the nuggets, coat the chicken in seasoned breadcrumbs instead of flour after coating in egg. Place the breaded chicken on a wire rack and drizzle with oil. Bake for 10-15 minutes at 220ºC/430ºF until golden brown and crisp.
Freezing and making ahead
- Freezing: Bread chicken nuggets per instructions then place on a baking sheet in a single layer. Freeze until solid then transfer to a freezer bag and freeze for up to 3 months. Fry from frozen until golden brown and crisp.
- Make ahead: Cooked nuggets can be kept in the fridge for up to 3 days and reheated in a hot oven until warmed through.
What to serve with chicken nuggets
- Easy oven baked fries
- Spicy garlic baked potato wedges
- Easy creamy curried macaroni salad
- Cucumber, tomato and red onion salad
Crispy chicken recipes
- Crispy chicken pops
- Baked cornflake chicken
- Crispy Chicken Schnitzel
- Corn flake crusted chicken strips with honey mustard sauce
Homemade chicken nuggets
- 500 g (1lb) chicken breasts sliced into bite sized chunks
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1½ tsp garlic powder
- 1½ tsp onion powder
- 1½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 3 eggs
- Heat vegetable oil in a large pot.
- Whisk together the flour and spices in a shallow bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs together.
- Coat the chicken first in the flour, then in the eggs and finally in the flour again. For a thicker coating, repeat the breading.
- Fry the chicken nuggets in the oil until golden brown and crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon then drain on kitchen paper before serving.