If you’re looking for an easy, healthy breakfast or lunch recipe, this is it. This low carb spinach bake comes together in one-bowl before being baked until just set and can be made a few days in advance.
Table of Contents
- Cottage cheese. I used full fat cottage cheese but use low fat or fat free cottage cheese if preferred.
- Frozen spinach. You can use fresh spinach for this but you would need 5kg/10lb of spinach to get the 1kg/2lb of wilted spinach required for this recipe.
- Feta cheese.
- Parmesan cheese.
- Salt and black pepper.
- Garlic powder.
- Fresh lemon juice.
- Chilli flakes (optional).
How to make low carb spinach bake
Line a 32cm x 25cm (12.5in x 10in) baking dish with parchment paper. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, cottage cheese, crumbled feta cheese and grated parmesan cheese. Mix in the thawed and drained spinach then season with a generous pinch of salt, black pepper, garlic powder and chilli flakes, if using.
Place the casserole dish in a preheated oven and allow to bake for 20 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the mixture is set. Remove from the oven, allow to cool to room temperature then slice with a sharp knife.
Can I make this ahead?
This is a great meal prep recipe and can be baked up to 4 days ahead. Place the cooled and sliced spinach bake in an airtight container and keep in the fridge. If you prefer eating it warm, reheat in the microwave for a minute or two.
What else can I add to this?
Since this is pretty much a crustless quiche, the options are endless. If you prefer adding protein, cooked bacon, shredded chicken or cubes of ham will work well. Sautéed mushrooms, onions, peppers, etc. will also be delicious.
Healthy breakfast recipes
Low carb spinach bake
- 1 kg/2lb frozen spinach
- 8 extra-large eggs
- 500 g (1lb) cottage cheese
- 2 cups feta cheese crumbled
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- 3 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp chilli flakes optional
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/390°F.
- Line a 32cm x 25cm (12.5in x 10in) baking dish with parchment paper.
- Thaw the spinach then drain and squeeze out as much moisture as possible. Doing this will prevent the spinach bake from being too wet and soggy.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, cottage cheese, crumbled feta cheese and Parmesan.
- Add the drained spinach then season with salt, pepper, garlic powder and chilli flakes.
- Pour into the prepared baking dish and top with more feta cheese (optional).
- Place in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the top of the bake is golden brown and the mixture is set.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool to room temperature before slicing and serving.