Cheesy Meatballs baked in Tomato sauce
Also known as, Meatballs with Spaghetti. But no matter how you say it, this meal conjures up images of little old Italian ladies feeding their massive families and their sons just glowing in the love that is Mama’s cooking. I so hope to be one of those ladies one day. Although I’ll never be little nor Italian!
I used Lamb mince for my meatballs but only because that’s what I had in the freezer. You could use any mince for this and it would be delicious. You could also make your own tomato sauce but using a few tins of tomato puree and chopped tomatoes just makes this so much quicker. And the versatility doesn’t end there. These little meatballs would be so yum wrapped in a roti or stuffed in a baguette.
Mince is such a readily available and popular ingredient, I don’t think there is a single household without it, so to give you some more inspiration whilst using it, we are giving away a copy of “Favourite Mince Recipes” by Lee Blaylock. This little book is packed with wonderful recipes using every kind of mince imaginable. From Beef, Chicken and Lamb to Fish and even Fruit Mince gets it’s 15 minutes of fame in a dedicated section.
To stand a chance of winning this book, I will be asking a food-related question every day for the next 3 days. Gather the answers and send them to me on Thursday, 7 October 2010. The winner will be announced on Friday, 8 October 2010.
Question 1 : Black eyed peas are not peas. What are they?
For the sauce :
2 tins chopped tomatoes
1 tin tomato puree
1tbsn dried oregano
salt & pepper to taste
For the Meatballs:
500g lamb mince
1 onion, finely chopped and sauteed
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2tsp ground cloves
1 cup grated Parmesan / Pecorino
squeeze of lemon juice
salt & black pepper to taste
2 cups grated cheddar cheese
500g cooked spaghetti
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C.
- Combine all the sauce ingredients and pour into a deep roasting dish/casserole dish.
- For the meatballs, combine all the ingredients and mix well. Form medium sized meatballs and place into the roasting dish.
- Place the dish in the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes.
- Sprinkle over the cheddar cheese and bake for another 10 minutes until the meatballs are firm but still juicy and the cheese is melted and golden.
- Serve the meatballs on top of the spaghetti and spoon over some of the tomato sauce. Add another sprinkling of cheese if desired.