Juicy grilled Greek chicken salad with avocado and Kalamata olives is a delicious, healthy and easy lunch or dinner recipe.
Greek salad is a constant in our lives. I make it pretty much twice a week without fail as an easy side dish to grilled chicken, steak or pork and it makes the most delicious lunch served with toasted pita bread. I love adding grilled chicken to Greek salad as a way to add protein and make it a little more substantial which makes it perfect as an easy lunch or casual dinner. The easy Greek dressing doubles up as a marinade for the chicken and is delicious over the colorful salad.
How to make Greek chicken salad
Make the dressing/marinade by combining olive oil, dried oregano, lemon juice (you can add red wine vinegar as well) and crushed garlic. Season generously and pour half over chicken breasts that have been halved to create two thin cutlets. Allow to marinade for at least 10 minutes but up to 24 hours, covered in the fridge.
Cook the chicken in a hot pan until cooked through and golden brown on both sides. Remove from the pan and allow to rest before slicing.
In a large bowl or platter, add lettuce, halved cherry tomatoes, sliced cucumber and avocado and Kalamata olives (you can add thinly sliced red onion and chunks of bell pepper too) then add the chicken and pour over the dressing.
Can Greek chicken salad be made ahead?
You can marinade the chicken up to 24 hours before cooking and assemble the salad without the avocado up to an hour before serving. Add the cooked chicken, avocado and dressing right before serving.
How to make Greek salad dressing
Whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, red wine vinegar (optional), finely minced garlic and dried oregano until emulsified. You can also add the ingredients to a jar and shake until well mixed. Season with salt and freshly cracked black pepper. Greek dressing can be used to dress almost any type of salad and makes a great marinade for chicken, beef or pork.
Love Greek recipes? Try these:
- Greek pork souvlaki
- Slow-roasted Greek lamb
- Easy baked Greek chicken with potatoes
- Easy Greek Tzatziki
- Greek meatballs with feta cheese
- Greek salad with fried feta cheese
Greek chicken salad
For the marinade/dressing
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1-2 garlic cloves crushed (amount depends on how strong the cloves are you are using)
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar (optional)
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
For the salad
- 4 chicken breasts halved to create two thin cutlets
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 large cucumber sliced
- 1-2 avocados sliced
- 1 cup Kalamata olives
- 1 cup cubed Feta cheese
- Whisk together all the marinade ingredients.
- Place the chicken in a bowl and pour over half of the marinade. Reserve the rest for dressing.
- Allow the chicken to marinade for at least 10 minutes but up to 24 hours, covered in the fridge.
- Cook the chicken in a large, hot pan or skillet until cooked through and golden brown on both sides. Remove from the pan and allow to rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
- Place the lettuce onto a large platter and add the tomatoes, cucumber, avocado, olives and feta cheese. Add the sliced chicken then pour over the dressing before serving.