Crispy chicken schnitzel is easy to make and delicious. Panko-crusted and fried until golden, it is the perfect family dinner recipe.
Chicken Schnitzel is a constant in our lives. Juicy chicken breast breaded in flavorsome Panko bread crumbs and fried until golden has got to be one of life’s simplest pleasures. And it’s one we indulge in quite often. Not only is it one of the easiest recipes you can make, it’s also one of the recipes you KNOW will be a crowd pleaser. Every. Single. Time. I like to flavor the breadcrumbs and flour with herbs and spices but even just seasoned with salt and pepper, this recipe will be a hit.
What is Chicken Schnitzel?
Schnitzel is an Austrian dish made with meat (beef, chicken or pork) pounded thin, coated in flour, egg and breadcrumbs then fried until golden and crisp. Weiner Schnitzel is schnitzel made with veal.
- Chicken. I always use boneless skinless chicken breasts but boneless thighs can also work.
- Seasonings: I used paprika, garlic powder, dried oregano salt and black pepper but you can use any seasonings of your choice.
- Panko breadcrumbs. Use fresh or Italian breadcrumbs as substitute.
- Oil, for frying. Use a neutral oil like canola oil, grape-seed oil or avocado oil.
How to make Chicken Schnitzel
Start by slicing large skinless, boneless chicken breasts in half horizontally to create thin cutlets. If you are using smaller chicken breasts, you can skip this step. Place the chicken in between two sheets of parchment paper and thin out using a meat mallet or rolling pin. The thinner your chicken, the quicker it will cook.
Set up a breading station by placing flour, paprika, garlic powder and salt in a wide, shallow bowl. Whisk eggs into another bowl, big enough for coating the chicken. In a third bowl, combine the panko breadcrumbs, salt, black pepper and dried oregano.
Dredge the chicken cutlets first in the flour, then in the egg and finally in the seasoned breadcrumb mixture. Make sure the chicken is well coated to get a good, even crisp coating once fried. For a thicker crust, repeat the egg and breadcrumb steps.
Heat 1-2cm (approximately ½ inch) of neutral oil in a large pan or skillet over medium high heat. Carefully place the chicken into the hot oil, laying the meat down away from you to avoid splashing. Allow to fry for 2-3 minutes per side until golden brown on both sides. Remove the chicken and allow to drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Serve with lemon wedge and sides of your choice.
Can I bake chicken schnitzel?
Yes, absolutely. Place the breaded chicken onto a baking sheet and spray with a little olive oil before placing in the oven. Bake at 200°C/390°F for 10-15 minutes, flipping halfway, until the chicken is crisp, golden and cooked through. You can also cook the schnitzel in the Air Fryer for 10-12 minutes at 200°C/390°F.
What sides to serve with Chicken Schnitzel
Chicken schnitzel is so versatile, it will work with a variety of side dishes. Creamy mashed potatoes and green beans are great for the cooler months while a crisp salad and spicy potato wedges are delicious during spring and summer.
- Creamy mashed potatoes
- Bacon-sauteed green beans
- Easy side salad with lemon dressing
- Easy spicy garlic baked potato wedges
Crispy chicken recipes:
- Easy Parmesan crusted chicken
- Corn flake-crusted chicken strips with honey-mustard dipping sauce
- Crispy chicken pops
- Fried chicken sandwich with creamy coleslaw
Crispy Chicken Schnitzel
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1½ cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 4 eggs
- 2½ cups Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 cup oil
- If your chicken breasts are very large, carefully slice them in half horizontally to create thinner cutlets.
- Place chicken in between two sheets of parchment paper.
- Flatten with a meat mallet or rolling pin.
- Place flour, salt, paprika and garlic powder into a wide bowl suitable for dipping the chicken in. Whisk eggs into a second bowl and combine the breadcrumbs, salt, pepper and oregano into another.
- Coat the chicken first into the flour, then in the beaten eggs and finally in the seasoned breadcrumbs.
- Heat 1-2cm (½ inch) vegetable oil in a large pan or skillet over medium high heat.
- Carefully lay the chicken into the hot oil and allow to cook for 2-3 minutes per side until golden brown and crisp.
- Remove the cooked schnitzel from the pan and allow to drain on a paper towel lined plate.
- Serve with lemon wedges and sides of your choice.
Made as directed for dinner tonight. Easy and delicious. Paired with rosemary garlic roasted sweet potatoes. No leftovers!
Can you add parmesan cheese to the bread crumbs??