Crispy chicken schnitzel is easy to make and delicious. Panko-crusted and fried until golden, it is the perfect family dinner recipe.
Chicken Schnitzel is a constant in our lives. Juicy chicken breast breaded in flavorsome Panko breadcrumbs and fried until golden has got to be one of life’s simplest pleasures. And it’s one we indulge in quite often. Not only is it one of the easiest recipes you can make, it’s also one of the recipes you KNOW will be received well. Every. Single. Time. I like to flavor the breadcrumbs and flour with herbs and spices but even just seasoned with salt and pepper, this recipe will be a hit.
What is Chicken Schnitzel?
Schnitzel is an Austrian dish made with meat (beef, chicken or pork) pounded thin, coated in flour, egg and breadcrumbs then fried until golden and crisp. Weiner Schnitzel is schnitzel made with veal.
How to make Chicken Schnitzel
Slice large skinless, boneless chicken breasts in half horizontally to create thin cutlets. If you are using smaller chicken breasts, you can skip this step. Place the chicken in between two sheets of parchment paper and thin out using a meat mallet or rolling pin. Place flour, paprika, garlic powder and salt in a wide, shallow bowl. Whisk eggs into another bowl, big enough for coating the chicken. In a third bowl, combine the panko breadcrumbs, salt, black pepper and dried oregano. Coat the thinned out chicken first in the flour, then in the egg and finally in the seasoned breadcrumb mixture. Make sure the chicken is well coated to get a good, even crisp coating once fried.
Heat 1-2cm (approximately ½ inch) of vegetable oil in a large pan or skillet over medium high heat. Carefully place the chicken into the hot oil, laying the meat down away from you to avoid splashing. Allow to fry for 2-3 minutes per side until golden brown on both sides. Remove the chicken and allow to drain on a paper towel lined plate. Serve with lemon wedge and sides of your choice.
What sides to serve with Chicken Schnitzel
- Easy creamy potato salad
- Cucumber, tomato and red onion salad
- Easy side salad with lemon dressing
- Easy spicy garlic baked potato wedges
Crispy chicken recipes:
- Easy Parmesan crusted chicken
- Corn flake-crusted chicken strips with honey-mustard dipping sauce
- Crispy chicken pops
- Fried chicken sandwich with creamy coleslaw
Crispy Chicken Schnitzel
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1½ cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 4 eggs
- 2½ cups Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 cup oil
- If your chicken breasts are very large, carefully slice them in half horizontally to create thinner cutlets.
- Place chicken in between two sheets of parchment paper.
- Flatten with a meat mallet or rolling pin.
- Place flour, salt, paprika and garlic powder into a wide bowl suitable for dipping the chicken in. Whisk eggs into a second bowl and combine the breadcrumbs, salt, pepper and oregano into another.
- Coat the chicken first into the flour, then in the beaten eggs and finally in the seasoned breadcrumbs.
- Heat 1-2cm (½ inch) vegetable oil in a large pan or skillet over medium high heat.
- Carefully lay the chicken into the hot oil and allow to cook for 2-3 minutes per side until golden brown and crisp.
- Remove the cooked schnitzel from the pan and allow to drain on a paper towel lined plate.
- Serve with lemon wedges and sides of your choice.