Juicy chicken breasts breaded and cooked until golden brown makes this Parmesan crusted chicken recipe the perfect easy dinner served with a simple side.
If your family is anything like mine, serving them anything crispy and fried is sure to be a huge hit. This crispy, easy Parmesan crusted chicken is no different. My family love this recipe because the breading keeps the chicken breasts super juicy while adding so much color and flavor. I love it for all the same reasons but also because it takes me 20 minutes to cook, from start to finish. It is the perfect easy weeknight dinner served with a simple side dish and lemon wedges.
How to make Parmesan crusted chicken
Place boneless skinless chicken breasts on a cutting board. Place your non-dominant hand on the chicken then carefully slice the chicken breast in half horizontally. This creates two even, thin chicken cutlets. Set the chicken aside while you prepare the breading. Set out three, deep and wide bowls (big enough to comfortably bread the chicken breasts). In the first one, place the flour then season with salt and pepper. Whisk the eggs into the second bowl and season with salt. In the last bowl, combine the breadcrumbs (you can use fresh breadcrumbs, Italian breadcrumbs or Panko breadcrumbs) and add the grated Parmesan cheese and seasoning.
I used a dried herb mix (Italian seasoning, herbs de Provence or any dried herbs you like can be used), garlic powder and a pinch of paprika. Feel free to use any herbs and spices you have and love.
Coat the chicken cutlets first in the flour, then in the egg and finally in the seasoned breadcrumbs. To create a thicker breading, you can repeat the egg and breadcrumb step, but you might need to prepare more breadcrumbs if you plan on doing that.
Pre-heat a large pan or skillet and add 1-2cm / ½-¾ inch of canola oil (or any neutral oil with a high-smoke point). Carefully add 2-3 crusted chicken breasts at a time and cook for 2-3 minutes a side until the chicken is golden brown and cooked through. Remove the chicken from the pan and allow to drain on kitchen paper before serving with lemon wedges and extra Parmesan (optional).
How to get breading to stick to chicken
Coating the chicken (or anything you want to bread) in flour first gives the eggs and in turn the breadcrumbs something to stick to.
Can you bake breaded chicken?
Yes, you can bake breaded chicken. Pre-heat the oven to 200ºC/400ºF. Place the breaded chicken breasts onto a baking sheet then bake for 10-15 minutes, turning over half way through, until golden brown on both sides and cooked through.
How to reheat Parmesan crusted chicken
To reheat Parmesan crusted chicken or breaded chicken, place on a baking sheet and bake at 200ºC/400ºF for 7-10 minutes until heated through.
What to serve with Parmesan crusted chicken
- Creamy mashed potatoes
- Easy steamed spring vegetables with feta cheese
- Easy side salad with lemon dressing
- Crispy salt and pepper smashed potatoes
- Maple butter mashed sweet potatoes
- Cucumber, tomato and red onion salad
Easy Parmesan crusted chicken
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
For the breading
- 1 cup flour seasoned with ½ tsp salt and pepper
- 3 large eggs beaten and seasoned with a pinch of salt
- 2 cups breadcrumbs (Panko, Italian or fresh)
- 1 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp dried herb mix
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- Place the chicken on a cutting board. Place your hand flat onto the chicken then carefully slice the chicken in half horizontally, creating two cutlets out of every chicken breast.
- Place the chicken aside and prepare the breading station.
- Put the seasoned flour and eggs into separate bowls big enough to comfortably bread the chicken.
- Combine the breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese and seasoning in a third bowl and mix well.
- Preheat a large pan or skillet over medium high heat and add oil.
- Coat the chicken first in the flour, then in the egg and finally in the seasoned breadcrumbs, pressing the breadcrumbs into the chicken.
- Carefully add the chicken to the hot pan (2-3 cutlets at a time) and cook for 2-3 minutes per side or until the chicken is cooked through and golden brown on both sides.
- Remove from the pan and allow to drain on kitchen paper before serving with lemon wedges.
Crispy chicken recipes