Juicy chicken breasts breaded and cooked until golden brown makes this Parmesan crusted chicken recipe the perfect easy dinner served with a simple side.
If your family is anything like mine, serving them anything crispy and fried is sure to be a huge hit. This crispy, easy Parmesan crusted chicken is no different. My family loves this recipe because the breading keeps the chicken breasts super juicy while adding so much color and flavor. I love it for all the same reasons but also because it takes me 20 minutes to cook, from start to finish. It is the perfect easy weeknight dinner served with a simple side dish and lemon wedges.
Table of Contents
- 1 Ingredients
- 2 How to make Parmesan crusted chicken
- 3 Can I make this in an Air Fryer?
- 4 How to get breading to stick to chicken
- 5 Can you bake breaded chicken?
- 6 How to reheat Parmesan crusted chicken
- 8 What to serve with Parmesan crusted chicken
- 9 Easy Parmesan crusted chicken
- Chicken. I used chicken breasts but you can use boneless chicken thighs too. Thighs just require a little longer cooking time.
- Breadcrumbs. Panko bread crumbs, Italian or fresh s will all work.
- Dried herbs. I just used a mix but parsley, basil, oregano, rosemary and thyme are all delicious. You can use Italian seasoning too.
- Garlic powder.
- Salt and black pepper.
- Oil, for frying. I have used both olive oil and canola oil for frying. Avocado oil works well too.
- Lemon wedges and fresh parsley, to serve.
How to make Parmesan crusted chicken
Slice the chicken breast in half horizontally and prepare your breading station. Whisk the eggs into a wide, shallow bowl and place the seasoned flour and panko breadcrumbs in two separate bowls. Grate the Parmesan into the bread crumbs and season with dried herbs, garlic powder, paprika, salt and black pepper.
Dredge the chicken cutlets first in the flour, then in the egg mixture and finally in the seasoned breadcrumb mixture. For a thicker crust, repeat the egg and breadcrumb steps.
Preheat a large pan or cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil and allow to preheat. Add 2-3 chicken cutlets to the pan then allow to cook for 2-3 minutes per side until golden brown and cooked through.
Remove from the pan and drain on paper towel before serving with freshly squeezed lemon juice, grated parmesan and fresh herbs like parsley.
Can I make this in an Air Fryer?
Absolutely. Breaded foods work very well in the air fryer. Add the breaded chicken cutlets to the air fryer basket and drizzle/spray with oil, then air fry at 200ºC/390ºF for 6 minutes, flip over and air fry for another 4-5 minutes until golden brown and cooked through.
How to get breading to stick to chicken
Coating the chicken (or anything you want to bread) in flour first gives the eggs and in turn the breadcrumbs something to stick to.
Can you bake breaded chicken?
Yes, you can bake breaded chicken. Pre-heat the oven to 200ºC/400ºF. Place the breaded chicken breasts onto a baking sheet then bake for 10-15 minutes, turning over half way through, until golden brown on both sides and cooked through. You can also air fry leftover chicken. Keep the chicken in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. You can broil the chicken for a few minutes if you want a crispier crust.
How to reheat Parmesan crusted chicken
To reheat Parmesan crusted chicken or breaded chicken, place on a baking sheet and bake at 200ºC/400ºF for 7-10 minutes until heated through.
What to serve with Parmesan crusted chicken
Parmesan chicken is delicious served with pretty much any side dish. Mashed potatoes, salads, simple vegetables like steamed green beans or broccoli will all be delicious.
- Creamy mashed potatoes
- Guacamole salad
- Easy side salad with lemon dressing
- Crispy salt and pepper smashed potatoes
- Maple butter mashed sweet potatoes
- Cucumber, tomato and red onion salad
Easy Parmesan crusted chicken
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
For the breading
- 1 cup flour seasoned with ½ tsp salt and pepper
- 3 large eggs beaten and seasoned with a pinch of salt
- 2 cups breadcrumbs (Panko, Italian or fresh)
- 1 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp dried herb mix
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- Place boneless skinless chicken breasts on a cutting board.
- Place your non-dominant hand on the chicken then carefully slice the chicken breast in half horizontally. This creates two even, thin chicken cutlets.
- Set the chicken aside while you prepare the breading.
- Set out three, deep and wide bowls (big enough to comfortably bread the chicken breasts).
- In the first one, place the flour then season with salt and pepper.
- Whisk the eggs into the second bowl and season with salt.
- In the last bowl, combine the bread crumbs (you can use fresh, Italian or Panko bread crumbs) and add the grated Parmesan cheese and seasonings.
- Coat the chicken cutlets first in the flour, then in the egg and finally in the seasoned breadcrumbs.
- To create a thicker breading, you can repeat the egg and breadcrumb step, but you might need to prepare more breadcrumbs if you plan on doing that.
- Preheat a large pan or skillet and add 1-2cm / ½-¾ inch of canola oil (or any neutral oil with a high-smoke point).
- Carefully add 2-3 crusted chicken breasts at a time and cook for 2-3 minutes a side until the chicken is golden brown and cooked through.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and allow to drain on paper towel before serving with lemon wedges and extra Parmesan (optional) and a sprinkling of fresh parsley.