Crispy crumbed air fried mushrooms is a delicious vegetarian snack or appetizer served with sour cream dipping sauce.
Table of Contents
- Mushrooms. I used white button mushrooms but use any small mushrooms of your choice.
- Flour. All-purpose gluten free flour can be used instead.
- Panko breadcrumbs. Any breadcrumbs can be used. Use gluten-free bread crumbs if necessary.
- Dried oregano.
- Garlic powder.
- Salt and black pepper.
- Olive oil.
For the dipping sauce
- Sour cream.
- Fresh chives.
- Garlic powder.
- Lemon juice.
How to make air fried mushrooms
Coat the mushrooms first in seasoned flour, then in beaten egg and finally in bread crumbs seasoned with salt, pepper, oregano and garlic powder. Place the crumbed mushrooms in a single layer in the air fryer basket then place the basket in the air fryer. Cook at 200ºC/390ºF for 10 minutes then turn over and cook for another 3-5 minutes until the mushrooms are crisp and golden.
To make the dipping sauce, stir together the sour cream, chopped chives, garlic powder and lemon juice then season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve the mushrooms with the dipping sauce.
How long to air fry mushrooms
Crumbed mushrooms should take approximately 15 minutes in an air fryer, depending on their size.
Can I make this ahead?
The mushrooms can be breaded and kept on a tray lined with parchment paper for up to 3 hours in the fridge before air frying.
Easy Air Fryer Appetizers
- Air Fryer Buffalo Cauliflower with Jalapeño Ranch
- Air fried feta bites
- Easy Cheesy Air fryer Zucchini Tots
I always use my Instant Pot Vortex Plus Air Fryer when developing air fryer recipes. It is by far the most efficient air fryer I’ve used and the basket size is excellent for a family of 4. This post isn’t sponsored but I am partnered with Instant Pot South Africa.
Crumbed Air Fried Mushrooms
- 500 g / 1lb mushrooms cleaned
- 1 cup flour
- 3 eggs beaten
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- salt and black pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
For the sour cream dipping sauce
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tbsp chopped chives
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Season the flour with a pinch of salt and pepper and place in a shallow bowl.
- Beat the eggs into a second shallow bowl.
- In a third bowl, combine the panko breadcrumbs with the garlic powder and oregano and season with salt and pepper.
- Coat the mushrooms first in seasoned flour, then in beaten egg and finally in bread crumbs.
- Place the crumbed mushrooms in a single layer in the air fryer then drizzle with olive oil. Place the basket in the air fryer.
- Cook at 200ºC/390ºF for 10 minutes then turn over and cook for another 3-5 minutes until the mushrooms are crisp and golden.
- To make the dipping sauce, stir together the sour cream, chopped chives, garlic powder and lemon juice then season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve the mushrooms with the dipping sauce.