This easy sheet pan Margherita pizza is perfect for after school snacks or fuss-free dinners. Make the dough ahead and keep in the freezer for speedy prep.
Sheet pan pizza is totally a thing in our house. We have it once a week when I’m just too lazy to put much effort into a meal and there’s never any complaints from my family because who doesn’t love pizza? And there’s nothing as glorious as a simply Margherita pizza. Right?
My first introduction to sheet pan pizza was when my mom, brothers and I used to visit my dad at work. His boss was Italian and his wife would prepare these epic Italian lunches for the entire office. One day when we got there, she brought out these giant pans filled with pizza. She cut them into large squares and everyone started digging in. I just remember cheesy slices being passed around and that first bite. Hot, gooey cheese, perfectly seasoned tomato base and a crust that was equally crisp and a little pillowy. It was just heavenly.
How to make sheet pan Margherita pizza
So to this day, I have a soft pot for a good sheet pan pizza. I always have pizza dough in the freezer to make pizza night just that little bit easier but if you don’t, or don’t want to make your own, store-bought is completely fine. I don’t roll it out too thin because I want the pizza to be able to hold itself when I pick up a slice, especially as the slices are a little larger than with a classic pizza.
I usually make a very simple pizza sauce out of crushed tomatoes and season it with a pinch of sugar, salt and a little oregano and olive oil but you could use whatever base you prefer. Whatever you do, don’t skimp on the mozzarella. I like a super cheesy pizza and a good cheese pull so I scatter the cheese all over the base and then add little mounds of grated cheese here and there to create pools of melty mozzarella. Finish with fresh basil and you’re done. Buon Appetito!
Easy sheet pan Margherita pizza
- 500g pizza dough Click here for recipe
For the pizza sauce
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes You can blend the crushed tomatoes to create a smoother sauce
- pinch sugar
- pinch salt
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp olive oil
For the Margarita pizza toppings
- 2-3 cups mozzarella cheese grated
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- Pre-heat the oven to the hottest setting possible.
- Roll the pizza dough into a rectangle large enough to fit your sheet pan. You should be able to make two pizzas with 500g of dough. Transfer the dough to the sheet pan.
- To make the sauce, combine all the ingredients then spread in a thin layer over the pizza bases.
- Add the mozzarella cheese and oregano then place in the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes or until the base is crisp and golden and the cheese has melted.
- Remove from the oven then top with the fresh basil and slice.
- Serve immediately.