Steamed spring vegetables make a delicious, healthy side dish jazzed up with a zesty lemony dressing and creamy feta cheese.
How to make steamed vegetables
Steaming vegetables is a great, healthy way to cook vegetables that results in perfectly cooked vegetables. You can of course use a steamer or a bamboo steaming basket set over a pot of water to steam vegetables. However, I find when I have a large amount of vegetables to steam (and I’m not in the mood to get the steamer out of the pantry), I use a little speedy hack that saves a lot of time. I set a round cooling rack (the ones made for baking) in the bottom of a large pot and place the vegetables on top. Add a few cups of water and allow to steam until the vegetables are cooked to your preference.
Which Veggies can be steamed?
All vegetables work well in the steamer however these spring vegetables are particularly delicious steamed:
- Sugar snap peas
- Green beans
- New potatoes
- Baby carrots
How do you add flavor to steamed vegetables?
Treating steamed vegetables like a salad is a great way to add flavor to vegetables. Make a zesty dressing with lemon juice, olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic. If you’re not vegan, adding cheese works very well too and feta and Parmesan are great options.
More easy side dish recipes:
- Easy side salad with lemon dressing
- Easy oven baked fries
- Pea and feta quinoa salad
- Crispy salt and pepper smashed potatoes
Steamed spring vegetables with feta
- 200 g (7oz) asparagus woody ends trimmed
- 200 g (7oz) green beans trimmed
- 150 g (5oz) sugar snap peas
- 200 g (7oz) zucchini thinly sliced
- 150 g (5oz) broccolini sliced in half lengthwise
- 1 cup feta cheese crumbled
For the dressing
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2-3 tbsp lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Steam the vegetable for 7-10 minutes or until cooked to your preference. A sharp knife should be able to easily be inserted into the thickest part of the vegetables.
- Remove from the steamer and place in a large bowl.
- Mix all the ingredients for the dressing well and season to taste.
- Pour over the steamed vegetables and toss to coat the veg in the dressing.
- Add the feta cheese and serve.
Leave a Reply