Sweet and tender, orange brown sugar glazed carrots are an excellent side dish for everything from every day dinners to festive feasts.
I have always loved glazed carrots. When I was 12/13, I asked my mom if I could cook us dinner and she gladly agreed. I decided that glazed carrots would have to be on the menu because not only are they ridiculously easy to make, but they are just always a crowd pleaser. I’ve come a long way since those glazed carrots cooked until they were mushy and overly sweet.
In this much-improved version, carrot are simmered in butter, orange juice and brown sugar with thyme until they are fork tender (no mushy carrots, please!) before being seasoned with salt and pepper. It’s the perfect side dish for Thanksgiving or Christmas and makes everyday dinners just that little bit more special.
Table of Contents
How to make glazed carrots
Peel large carrots then halve them lengthwise then chop into bite sized chunks. For carrots that are fork tender and caramelized, cook them in melted butter in a large pan or skillet until they start to brown. Add the orange juice, brown sugar and thyme and reduce the heat. Allow the carrots to simmer in the glaze, stirring regularly, until they are fork tender and glossy. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
Can you make glazed carrots ahead?
Although this recipe takes no more than 30 minutes to make from scratch, it can definitely be made the day ahead and reheated in a pan over medium heat.
- Creamy spiced carrot soup
- Easy healthy carrot muffins
- Harissa Carrot salad with feta cheese
- Pumpkin carrot cake with cream cheese frosting
Orange brown sugar glazed carrots
- 1 kg (2lbs) carrots peeled and sliced
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 orange zest removed and juiced
- 1/3 cup soft brown sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Peel the carrots then halve lengthwise. Slice into bite-sized pieces.
- Melt the butter in a large pan or skillet.
- Add the carrots and cook for 5 minutes until they start to caramelize.
- Add the orange juice, zest and sugar.
- Turn the heat down then allow the carrots to cook in the glaze for 10-15 minutes, stirring regularly, until they are fork tender and glossy.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve.