Spicy peri-peri chicken livers is the ultimate quick and easy meal or snack. Chicken livers are cheap and super nutritious. And absolutely delicious too!
So I know that chicken livers might not be everyone’s cup of tea but hear me out. First of all, you will be hard-pressed to find a more cost-effective protein that packs the nutrition punch they do.
Are chicken livers good for you?
Chicken livers are very high in protein and iron and contain a range of vitamins and minerals. They are perfect for anyone on a low-carb/Paleo diet. But even if you’re not on a special eating plan, I would seriously urge you to give them a try. Because you guys, they are CRAZY delicious.
If you’ve ever eaten chicken liver pate/mousse/spread, and liked it, you will LOVE them cooked in this spicy peri-peri sauce. I have turned many a liver-hater into liver-lovers with this recipe. The key to cooking really great chicken livers is to not over cook them. When they are over cooked they become tough and rubbery. When they are cooked perfectly they are succulent and absolutely moreish. Serve them with loads of lemon wedges and crusty bread and you have a meal fit for a king.
How to cook chicken livers
- Prepare the chicken livers: Heat a large pan or skillet over high heat. The pan needs to be very hot to sear the livers and cook them quickly. Trim the livers of any excess fat (if your butcher hasn’t done this for you) and pat dry with paper towels.
- Fry: Add the butter to the skillet and add the livers. Allow to brown well on both sides. Do this in batches if your pan isn’t large enough to hold them all at once. You don’t want to the livers to be overcrowded as this will result in them steaming instead of searing.
- Make the pan sauce: Once they are golden brown on both sides, add the peri-peri sauce and garlic. Allow to fry until the garlic is aromatic and the peri-peri sauce starts to dry out then pour in the cream and lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper and allow to simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Serve: Serve with crusty bread to mop up the sauce.
Peri-peri chicken livers
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 500 g (1lb) chicken livers cleaned and trimmed
- 3 garlic cloves crushed
- 3-4 tablespoons peri-peri sauce
- juice of 1 lemon
- ½ cup cream
- salt & pepper to taste
- chopped parsley to serve
- crusty bread to serve
- In a very hot skillet/frying pan, melt the butter and fry the chicken livers until golden brown on both sides.
- Add the garlic and peri-peri sauce and allow to fry for another minute until fragrant then add the lemon juice and cream.
- Season with salt and pepper and allow to simmer for 5-7 minutes.
- Serve with crusty bread.