Spicy peri-peri chicken livers is the ultimate quick and easy meal or snack. Chicken livers are cheap and super nutritious. And they taste damn good.
So I know that chicken livers might not be everyone’s cup of tea but hear me out. First of all, you will be hard-pressed to find a more cost-effective protein that packs the nutrition punch that chicken livers do. Chicken livers are very high in protein and iron and contain a range of vitamins and minerals. They are thus perfect for anyone on a low-carb/Paleo diet. But even if you’re not on a special eating plan, I would seriously urge you to give them a try. Because you guys. They are CRAZY delicious.
If you’ve ever eaten chicken liver pate/mousse/spread, and liked it, you will LOVE chicken livers cooked in this spicy peri-peri sauce. I have turned many a chicken liver-hater into chicken liver-lovers with this recipe. The key to cooking really great chicken livers is to not over cook them. When they are over cooked they become tough and rubbery and honestly, who even has time for that? When they are cooked perfectly they are succulent and absolutely moreish. Serve them with loads of lemon wedges and crusty bread and you have a meal fit for a king.
Peri-peri chicken livers
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 500 g chicken livers cleaned and trimmed
- 3 garlic cloves crushed
- 3-4 tablespoons peri-peri sauce
- juice of 1 lemon
- ½ cup cream
- salt & pepper to taste
- chopped parsley to serve
- crusty bread to serve
- In a very hot skillet/frying pan, melt the butter and fry the chicken livers until golden brown on both sides.
- Add the garlic and peri-peri sauce and allow to fry for another minute until fragrant then add the lemon juice and cream.
- Season with salt and pepper and allow to simmer for 5-7 minutes.
- Serve with crusty bread.