The most delicious peri peri chicken baked to juicy perfection is great for dinner and will have you licking the plate!
Cooking a butterflied chicken slathered in spicy, aromatic peri peri sauce always results in the ultimate finger-licking meal. If you like spicy food, this recipe is for you!
Table of Contents
- Chicken. I used a butterflied whole chicken but this recipes works with bone-in chicken pieces too.
- Peri-peri sauce. I make my own peri-peri sauce with onion, garlic, bird’s eye chillies, vinegar, herbs and olive oil.
- Sugar/honey. The sugar balances the spiciness of the peri-peri and allows the chicken to caramelize.
- Salt and black pepper.
How to make peri peri chicken
Butterfly a whole chicken by cutting along both sides of the back bone, turn the chicken over and press down to flatten. Season the chicken generously with salt. Mix the peri-peri sauce and sugar/honey together then pour over the peri peri sauce. Using a spoon, smear the peri peri over the chicken and under the skin on the breast, making sure the chicken is well covered.
Place the chicken in an oven-proof dish. Place in the oven and allow to bake for 45 minutes – 1 hour, basting with the sauce every 15-20 minutes. The chicken is done when the juices run clear when cut. Remove from the oven and allow the chicken to rest for at least 10 minutes. Carve and serve.
Can I make this in advance?
The chicken can marinated and kept covered in the fridge for up to 2 days in advance. Leftover roast chicken can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge for up to two days.
Can this chicken be cooked on a grill?
Absolutely! This chicken is perfect when cooked on a grill/braai/barbecue. Cook the chicken over medium-low coals with the lid closed for 30-45 minutes until cooked through and caramelized.
What to serve with peri peri chicken
This juicy, spicy chicken is absolutely perfect served with potatoes and a big salad but other classic side dishes like corn on the cob, potato salad or corn bread will all be delicious.
- Crispy salt and pepper smashed potatoes
- Easy spicy garlic baked potato wedges
- Easy side salad with lemon dressing
- Cheesy corn beer bread
- Easy creamy potato salad
Baked peri peri chicken
- 1 cup peri-peri sauce
- 2 tsp sugar/honey
For the chicken
- 1 whole chicken (butterflied)
- salt to taste
- Pre-heat the oven to 200ºC/400ºF.
- Mix together the peri peri sauce and sugar/honey in a small bowl.
- Season the chicken generously with salt and transfer to an oven-proof dish. Pour over the peri peri sauce and with a spoon, smear the sauce over the chicken and underneath the skin on the breast. Make sure the chicken is well-covered by the sauce.
- Place in the oven and allow to bake for 45-60 minutes, basting every 15-20 minutes. The chicken is ready when the juices run clear when cut.
- Remove the chicken and allow to rest, covered with foil, for at least 10 minutes.
- Slice and serve the chicken with the potatoes and other side dishes of your choice.