Juicy baked chicken basted in peri peri sauce with potatoes is a delicious dinner recipe perfect for feeding a crowd.
Cooking a butterflied chicken slathered in spicy, aromatic peri peri sauce always results in the ultimate finger-licking meal. If you like spicy food, this recipe is for you!
How to make peri peri chicken
Combine the onion, garlic, chillies, vinegar, sugar and salt in a saucepan and allow to cook for 10 minutes or until the onions are soft. Transfer to a blender and blend until smooth then allow to cool to room temperature. Butterfly a whole chicken by cutting along both sides of the back bone, turn the chicken over and press down to flatten. Season the generously with salt then pour over the peri peri sauce. Using a spoon, smear the peri peri over the chicken and under the skin on the breast, making sure the chicken is well covered.
Place the chicken in an oven-proof dish and add peeled and quartered potatoes. Season the potatoes with olive oil, salt and paprika. Place in the oven and allow to bake for 45 minutes – 1 hour, basting with the sauce every 15-20 minutes. The chicken is done when the juices run clear when cut. Remove from the oven and allow the chicken to rest for at least 10 minutes. At this point, keep the potatoes in the oven to allow them to stay hot and crisp. Slice and serve the chicken with the potatoes.
What to serve with peri peri chicken
- Crispy salt and pepper smashed potatoes
- Easy spicy garlic baked potato wedges
- Easy side salad with lemon dressing
- Cheese and herb beer bread
- Easy creamy potato salad
More peri peri recipes
- Home-made Peri-Peri sauce
- Easy peri-peri fried chicken livers
- Peri-Peri grilled chicken thighs
- Peri-Peri grilled chicken salad with charred corn
Baked peri peri chicken
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves crushed
- 3-5 chillies (depending on how spicy you want the chicken to be)
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
For the chicken
- 1 whole chicken (butterflied)
- salt to taste
For the potatoes
- 4-6 large potatoes peeled and quartered
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- Pre-heat the oven to 200ºC/390ºF.
- Combine all the sauce ingredients in a saucepan and cook for 10 minutes until onions are soft. Transfer to a blender and blend until smooth then adjust seasoning as needed and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Season the chicken generously with salt and transfer to an oven-proof dish. Pour over the peri peri sauce and with a spoon, smear the sauce over the chicken and underneath the skin on the breast. Make sure the chicken is well-covered by the sauce.
- Season the potatoes with olive oil, salt and paprika then add to the dish around the potatoes.
- Place in the oven and allow to bake for 45-60 minutes, basting every 15-20 minutes. The chicken is ready when the juices run clear when cut.
- Remove the chicken and allow to rest, covered with foil, for at least 10 minutes. Allow the potatoes to continue roasting.
- Slice and serve the chicken with the potatoes and other side dishes of your choice.