Give the classic pigs in a blanket a bit of Christmas cheer by baking them in a wreath and serving them with a delectable maple-mustard dipping sauce.
Ok, so maybe Christmas isn’t on your mind yet but it is most definitely on mine and I can’t help but spread the cheer. Around this time of the year, I get super excited as things start wrapping up and we get closer to my most favourite holiday, Christmas! This year, that cheer started even earlier and as I type this, I’ve already made up most of the house and the Christmas tree is all decorated. I know, it might sound crazy but I just can’t get enough Christmas.
And since food is SUCH a big part of Christmas, I start thinking about everything I can serve or bring to the many holiday parties happening around this time of the year. This pigs in a blanket wreath with its totally drool-worthy dipping sauce is all kinds of amazing. Not only is it a classic appetizer that EVERYONE loves, it’s also baked in an adorable wreath which gives me all the excited Christmas feels.
The dipping sauce is a super simple throw-together kinda thing and can be adjusted depending on your taste. You could even add a few dashes of hot sauce to spice things up a little.
Table of Contents
Pigs in a blanket wreath with maple-mustard dipping sauce
- 2 x rolls puff pastry thawed (cut into 5cmx5cm squares)
- cocktail sausages
- egg wash
for the maple mustard dipping sauce
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon wholegrain mustard
- salt & pepper to taste
- Pre-heat the oven to 200ºc and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll the cocktail sausages in the pastry and place in a wreath shape on the baking sheet. (Place the bowl you plan on serving the dipping sauce in, in the middle so you have a guide.)
- Egg wash all the pigs in a blanket then place in the oven and allow to bake for 20 minutes until golden brown and until the pastry is cooked through.
- In the meantime, mix together all the dipping sauce ingredients and transfer to your serving bowl of choice.
- Remove the pigs in a blanket wreath from the oven and place the bowl of sauce in the middle.