Tiramisu is one of my favorite dessert recipes. Of course it is absolutely delicious and few people can resist a slice of it, but it’s also fantastic for the festive season as it can be made a few days ahead. And in fact, it SHOULD be made a few days ahead since it gets better as it sits. This Christmassy version with white chocolate and cinnamon is the perfect festive dessert.
Table of Contents
- Egg yolks.
- Caster sugar. It’s very important that you use caster sugar. The super fine sugar will dissolve into the egg yolks quickly whereas granulated sugar will leave a gritty texture to the mixture.
- White chocolate.
- Ground cinnamon.
- Mascarpone cheese. The mascarpone needs to be cold to prevent it from splitting once beaten into the egg yolks.
- Lady finger cookies.
- Kahlua / Marsala wine. The alcohol is optional and you can leave it out entirely if preferred.
- Cocoa powder. Unsweetened cocoa powder is used for the topping.
How to make white chocolate tiramisu
I use a stand mixer to make the mascarpone mixture but you can use a hand mixer too. Whip the egg yolks and sugar together until light and voluminous. The sugar should be completely dissolved leaving a smooth texture. While mixing, add the cooled, melted white chocolate and ground cinnamon. Mix in the cold mascarpone cheese and mix until smooth and thick.
Combine the espresso with the alcohol (if using) then quickly dip the lady finger biscuits in the liquid and add a layer to the bottom of a casserole dish. I used a 32cm/13in dish. Add a layer of the mascarpone cream then repeat with another layer of lady fingers and a final layer of the mascarpone. Dust the top with cocoa powder then cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours but ideally overnight. Serve topped with festive sprinkles and white chocolate shavings.
Can I make Tiramisu ahead?
Tiramisu is the ideal make-ahead dessert. It is best made a day or two ahead of serving. Keep covered in the fridge for up to 3 days. I wouldn’t suggest freezing tiramisu as the mascarpone mixture could change texture once thawed but if you need to, wrap it well in plastic wrap then thaw overnight in the fridge before serving.
Make ahead dessert recipes
Christmas dessert recipes
White Chocolate Christmas Tiramisu
- 4 extra-large egg yolks
- ¾ cup caster sugar
- 150 g (5oz) white chocolate
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 500 g (1lb) cold mascarpone cheese
- 400 g (14oz) lady finger cookies
- 1 cup espresso
- 2 tbsp Kahlua / Marsala (optional)
- 3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- Beat the sugar and egg yolks together until white, fluffy and voluminous. The mixture should be smooth (sugar dissolved) when rubbed between your fingers.
- Melt the white chocolate and allow to cool to room temperature.
- With the mixer running, add the white chocolate and cinnamon and mix until just combined.
- Add the cold mascarpone and beat for another 2 minutes until smooth and thick.
- Combine the espresso and Kahlua / Marsala in a shallow bowl.
- Dip the finger biscuits into the coffee mixture then layer with the mascarpone mixture in a serving dish of your choice.
- Dust with cocoa powder and refrigerate for at least 6 hours but ideally overnight before serving.
- Serve topped with festive sprinkles and white chocolate shavings.