Pear & Blueberry Crumble
There is nothing better on an icy cold day than digging into a delicious dessert. What makes this even better is when you know that you don’t have to feel too guilty about doing so as the dessert is relatively healthy and filled with goodness!
These pear & blueberry crumbles are so easy to make and, when topped with Special K Oats & Honey, make a healthy and tasty dessert. The folks at Special K asked me to develop some recipes using their new Oats & Honey product and I’ve had such fun playing around with the flavour and texture. I love that it’s subtly sweet and has lots of great crunch, just what you need to top the more-ish pear & blueberry ‘filling’.
If you wish, you can substitute the butter in the crumble for margarine but as the recipe only calls for 100g and serves 6, I wouldn’t advise it as the butter adds incredible flavour and richness. You could also substitute the sugar for a sugar alternative of your choice.
6 pears, peeled, cored and roughly chopped
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 tbsp brown sugar
juice and zest of an orange
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 cups frozen/fresh blueberries
for the crumble topping
3 cups Special K Oats & Honey, crushed slightly
Low-fat Greek Yoghurt/Ice cream to serve
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°c.
- Cook the pears, lemon juice, brown sugar, orange juice and zest in a saucepan, covered, until the pears are easily pierced with a knife.
- Add the blueberries and cook for another minute. Remove from the heat and spoon into 6 oven-proof ramekins.
- To make the topping, mix the Special K Oats & Honey with the melted butter. Spoon generous amounts of the crumble topping onto the pears & blueberries and place in the oven.
- Allow to bake for 10-15 minutes until the topping is golden brown and crisp.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before serving with low-fat vanilla ice cream or Greek yoghurt.
If you liked this recipe and would like to make this season a honey-kissed winter, visit http://www.facebook.com/SpecialKSA