If you are interested in eating delicious food, you should continue reading because today, oh today, we are serving up the good stuff. This Tuscan roast chicken cooked in white wine is chicken perfection.
Now listen, right now this post is very hard for me to write because I haven’t had breakfat yet and it’s almost 12pm and writing about food and editing photos about food and thinking about food is pretty much the worst form of torture for me when I am hungry. But I will soldier on because you all deserve to have this recipe in your lives.
I make roast chicken often (as is obvious if you take a scroll through my “Chicken” section), and most often I just bang the chicken in the oven with a whole lot of stuff in the pan and bid it a good journey. But every now and then I take a little bit of time (like, 5 minutes) and prepare the chicken in a loving manner. The manner in question today is taking all kinds of Tuscan flavours (which are the best kind of flavours), chopping them all finely, mixing them with olive oil and rubbing the chicken down with that aromatic oil. Loosen the breast skin a little and stuff some of the herby, garlicky oil in there to add even more flavour to the flesh and then pop that baby in the oven with a generous glug or two of white wine, garlic cloves, fresh rosemary and some lemon and let it roast away until the skin is gorgeously golden, the flesh is succulent and cooked through and the sauce is rich, chickeny and delectable. Are you drooling yet?
I served this chicken with a simple side salad and a warm, crusty ciabatta to mop up all that juice but some steamed rice, roast potatoes or cauliflower rice will all be perfection. As long as you have something to soak up all that winey, garlicky chicken sauce, we’re all good.
- 1x 1.8-2kg free range/organic chicken
- 2 onions, quartered
- 8 garlic cloves
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- fresh rosemary
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 garlic cloves
- zest and juice of 1 lemon, reserve lemon
- salt & pepper to taste
- 4-5 tablespoons olive oil
- Pre-heat the oven to 200ºc.
- To make the rub, finely chop the rosemary and garlic then mix with the lemon zest and juice, salt, pepper and olive oil.
- Rub the mixture over the chicken, loosening the skin gently and pushing some of the rub under the skin.
- Place the reserved lemon in the cavity of the chicken then place the chicken in a oven-proof dish.
- Add the onions, garlic cloves and extra rosemary then pour in the wine and chicken stock.
- Place the chicken in the oven and immediately turn the temperature down to 160°c.
- Allow to roast for 45 minutes until almost cooked through then turn the heat up to 220° to allow the skin to crisp up.
- When the chicken is golden brown and cooked through, remove from the oven and allow to rest for 10-15 minutes before carving and serving.