This is a really delicious and easy way to use Seafood. I think many people are intimidated by cooking Seafood but I find that there are a few rules that I always follow and it always comes out GREAT.
1. Never over cook the prawns, usually 5 minutes is enough.
2. Either cook Calamari VERY quickly or VERY long. In between = elastic band texture.
3. You can never go wrong with Lemon & Garlic with fish/Seafood.
And with that being said, here is the recipe for my DELICIOUS Seafood Potjie.
500g Prawns, cleaned , shell removed
500g Calamari Steaks, cut into chunks
250g Squid tentacles
500g Hake fillets, cut into chunks
About 1kg Clams in their shells, cleaned.
2 tins Chopped Tomatoes
1 large onion, finely diced
2 Garlic cloves, crushed
4 tbsn Cornflour mixed with 400ml Milk
2tsp Fish Spice (I use a prawn, crayfish and calamari spice)
2 tsp sugar
Peri Peri sauce (we add quite alot because we like it Spicy)
Black pepper to taste
Italian Parsley to sprinkle over
- IN a large cast-iron pot, fry the onions and garlic until soft and golden. Add the tomatoes and spices and allow to reduce a little.
- Add the Hake fillets and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the Calamari Steaks and cook for another 6-8 minutes (until the calamari is tender).
- Add the Prawns, squid and Clams and allow to cook for another 2/3 minutes.
- Add the cornflour mix and allow to thicken. Check the seasoning, adjust to taste and serve hot with rice and some crusty bread.
it looks delicious