Table of Contents
- 0.1 These fluffy bacon corn muffins are the perfect grab-and-go breakfast, easy lunch and fast snack. They are sure to become a family favorite in no time!
- 0.2 How to make bacon corn muffins
- 1 Bacon corn muffins
These fluffy bacon corn muffins are the perfect grab-and-go breakfast, easy lunch and fast snack. They are sure to become a family favorite in no time!
So, ok. I share this recipe for bacon corn muffins with you because it is absolutely the most delicious savory muffin recipe I have ever had BUT proceed with caution. Because these corn muffins are completely addictive. I’ve baked them at least 3 times in the last month. They make fantastic easy snacks (um, hi after school!), grab-and-go breakfasts and easy lunches.
Served warm, slathered with butter they are just dreamy. To re-heat them just pop in the microwave for a few seconds. They warm up so well and really, the melty butter is so worth it.
How to make bacon corn muffins
It couldn’t be easier, honestly. The muffin batter is simple and straight forward and its the add-ins that makes these muffins special. Crispy streaky bacon (I used a 250g/8-ish oz package) being number one. You want streaky (bacon cut from the belly) here as the extra fat will add moisture as well as flavor. I removed the bacon from the pan and left a tablespoon of the bacon fat behind to fry the corn in. I used the kernels from 4 medium cobs but you could easily substitute 1 and a half cups of frozen or canned corn. A cup of mature grated cheddar (optional but SO good) and a generous handful of chopped fresh herbs add flavor and color.
They also freeze really well and will last for 3-5 days in a sealed container so these muffins are great for prepping ahead and having on hand during the week.
Bacon corn muffins
- 2½ cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp sugar
- ½ cup melted butter
- 2 cups milk
- 2 eggs
- 250 g bacon chopped
- 1 cup cheddar grated
- 1½ cups corn
- 1 cup mixed fresh herbs finely chopped (I used basil, chives and parsley)
- Pre-heat the oven to 180ºC and grease a 12-hole muffin pan generously (alternatively line with muffin cases).
- In a large pan, fry the bacon until golden brown and crisp. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar and mix well.
- Whisk together the wet ingredients then pour into the dry and mix until just combined.
- Add the bacon, corn, herbs and cheese and mix well.
- Fill the muffin tin/cases with batter and place in the oven.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes until golden brown and a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before removing from the muffin pan and cooling completely on a wire rack.