Sticky grilled BBQ chicken salad with charred corn, creamy avocado and feta cheese is a delicious and easy lunch or dinner recipe.
How to make BBQ chicken salad
Slice chicken breasts in half horizontally, resulting in thin chicken cutlets. Combine all the ingredients for the BBQ sauce and pour half over the chicken and allow to marinade for 30 minutes up to 24 hours, covered in the fridge. To cook, pre-heat a griddle pan or outdoor grill. Place the chicken on the grill and allow to cook for 3-4 minutes per side. Baste the chicken with the remaining BBQ sauce and allow to caramelize. Remove from the heat and allow to rest for 5 minutes then slice and serve with the salad.
How to make BBQ sauce from scratch
BBQ sauce consists of:
- Tomato ketchup
- Worcestershire sauce
- Cider vinegar
- Brown sugar
- Herbs/spices (optional)
Combine all the ingredients and mix well. If preferred the sauce can be simmered until thickened and then cooled and used. If used as a marinade, simply mix and pour over the protein of your choice.
How do you keep chicken moist on the grill?
Marinating chicken breasts and cooking them quickly on a hot grill are both good ways to ensure juicy cooked chicken. Always make sure you rest grilled chicken for at least 5 minutes (for chicken breasts), covered, as this gives the juices in the meat chance to redistribute.
More chicken salad recipes
- Chicken Caprese salad
- Kale Chicken Caesar salad
- Greek orzo salad with grilled chicken
- Peri-Peri chicken salad with charred corn
- Low-carb Chicken satay salad
BBQ chicken salad with charred corn
- ¾ cup tomato ketchup
- ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 4 large chicken breasts sliced in half horizontally to create thin chicken cutlets
For the salad
- 4 cups frozen corn
- cherry tomatoes halved
- feta cheese cubed
- red onion thinly sliced
- avocado sliced
- Combine all the BBQ sauce ingredients and mix well. Pour half over the chicken and allow to marinade for at least 30 minutes but up to 24 hours.
- When ready to cook, pre-heat a griddle pan or outdoor grill until hot. Add the chicken and cook for 3-4 minutes per side, basting with the remaining BBQ sauce, until caramelized and cooked through. Remove from the grill and allow to rest, covered, for at least 5 minutes.
- To make the salad, heat a non-stick pan then add the corn. Toast the corn until golden brown and caramelized then remove from the pan and allow to cool.
- To serve, slice the chicken and serve on lettuce with tomatoes, avocado, feta cheese, red onion and corn.
Grilled chicken recipes