Sticky grilled BBQ chicken salad with charred corn, creamy avocado and feta cheese is a delicious and easy lunch or dinner recipe.
Full recipe with the amounts can be found in the recipe card below.
- Chicken breasts. Boneless chicken thighs can also be used.
- BBQ sauce. I make my own but you can use your favorite store-bought brand too.
- Corn. I used frozen but you could use fresh or canned.
- Red onion.
- Feta cheese.
How to make BBQ chicken salad
- Prepare the chicken: Slice chicken breasts in half horizontally, resulting in thin chicken cutlets.
- Make the BBQ sauce: Combine all the ingredients for the BBQ sauce and pour half over the chicken and allow to marinade for 30 minutes up to 24 hours, covered in the fridge.
- Grill the chicken: To cook, preheat a griddle pan or outdoor grill. Place the chicken on the grill and allow to cook for 3-4 minutes per side. Baste the chicken with the remaining BBQ sauce and allow to caramelize. Remove from the heat and allow to rest for 5 minutes then slice and serve with the salad.
How to make BBQ sauce from scratch
BBQ sauce consists of:
- Tomato ketchup
- Worcestershire sauce
- Cider vinegar
- Brown sugar
- Herbs/spices (optional)
Combine all the ingredients and mix well. If preferred the sauce can be simmered until thickened and then cooled and used. If used as a marinade, simply mix and pour over the protein of your choice.
How do you keep chicken moist on the grill?
Marinating chicken breasts and cooking them quickly on a hot grill are both good ways to ensure juicy cooked chicken. Always make sure you rest grilled chicken for at least 5 minutes (for chicken breasts), covered, as this gives the juices in the meat chance to redistribute.
More chicken salad recipes
- Chicken Caprese salad
- Kale Chicken Caesar salad
- Greek orzo salad with grilled chicken
- Peri-Peri chicken salad with charred corn
- Low-carb Chicken satay salad
BBQ chicken salad with charred corn
- ¾ cup tomato ketchup
- ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 4 large chicken breasts sliced in half horizontally to create thin chicken cutlets
For the salad
- 4 cups frozen corn
- cherry tomatoes halved
- feta cheese cubed
- red onion thinly sliced
- avocado sliced
- Combine all the BBQ sauce ingredients and mix well. Pour half over the chicken and allow to marinade for at least 30 minutes but up to 24 hours.
- When ready to cook, pre-heat a griddle pan or outdoor grill until hot. Add the chicken and cook for 3-4 minutes per side, basting with the remaining BBQ sauce, until caramelized and cooked through. Remove from the grill and allow to rest, covered, for at least 5 minutes.
- To make the salad, heat a non-stick pan then add the corn. Toast the corn until golden brown and caramelized then remove from the pan and allow to cool.
- To serve, slice the chicken and serve on lettuce with tomatoes, avocado, feta cheese, red onion and corn.