Inspired by classic Crepes Suzette, these caramelized apple crepes are a delicious dessert recipe made with simple ingredients.
When I saw Claire Saffitz from Bon Appetit make Crepes Suzette last week, the craving for syrupy crepes got me. Since I didn’t have any oranges, I thought I would try it with apples. Not to be funny, but this might be even better than Crepes Suzette. Apples and caramel is a classic combination and paired with the lacy crepes, they make the most indulgent yet easy dessert.
How to make caramelized apple crepes
- Make the crepes: Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, water, oil, white vinegar and eggs in a large bowl until smooth. Cook the crepes in a warm pan. Set aside while you make the caramelized apples.
- Caramelize: In a large pan, melt half a teaspoon of butter with 2 teaspoons of apple juice. Place a crepe in the pan and allow to caramelize slightly then fold into quarters. Remove and place on a plate and repeat with the remaining crepes.
- Make the caramelized apples: Peel and slice 2 apples into wedges then cook in the same pan with butter, sugar and the rest of the apple juice. Allow to simmer until the sauce has reduced and the apples are fork-tender. Place the crepes back into the pan and glaze with the sauce. Serve crepes with a scoop of ice cream.
Can I make apple crepes ahead?
The crepes can be made up to 3 days ahead and kept covered in the fridge. They can also be frozen for up to 3 months. The sauce can be made up to 2 hours in advance and the crepes can be caramelized just before serving.
Tips for making the best crepes
- Use a nonstick pan. If you don’t have a nonstick pan, spray the pan with cooking spray and use kitchen towel to wipe a little oil into the pan to avoid sticking.
- Swirl the batter into the pan with a ladle while you turn the pan with your other hand to create a thin coating.
- Allow the crepe to turn completely matte then carefully flip with a spatula and cook for 30 seconds – 1 minute on the other side.
Apple dessert recipes
Caramelized apple crepes
For the crepes
- 12 crepes (click for recipe)
For the caramelized apples
- 1 cup apple juice
- ½ cup butter
- 2 apples peeled and sliced
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- pinch of salt
- Make the crepes according to recipe instructions.
- In a large pan, add half a teaspoon of butter and 2 teaspoons of apple juice. Allow the butter to melt.
- Add a crepe to the pan and cook for approximately 1 minute until the crepe starts to caramelize. Fold into quarters and place on a plate while you continue with the remaining crepes.
- Melt the remaining butter in the pan then add the apples. Add sugar, salt, lemon juice and remaining apple juice and cook until the sauce is reduced and the apples are tender.
- Place the crepes back into the pan and spoon over the sauce.
- Serve with ice cream.