A layer of jammy apples with a crunchy apple and oat topping makes this apple crumble an easy, delicious dessert perfect served with ice cream.
Table of Contents
Full recipe + amounts can be found in the recipe card below.
- Brown sugar
- Sliced almonds
- Rolled oats
How to make apple crumble
- Make the apple filling: Peel 10 Granny Smith apples then slice into thin half moon slices. Melt butter in an oven-proof pan or skillet. Add the apples, brown sugar, vanilla and a pinch of salt. Allow to cook until the apples have released their juices and start to caramelize. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- For the crumble: Melt butter then add oats, almonds, brown sugar, flour and cinnamon. Season with a pinch of salt and stir together with a fork until the mixture is well combined. Top the apples with the crumble then place in a hot oven. Bake for 15-20 minutes until hot, bubbling and golden brown on top. Remove from the oven and serve warm with a scoop of ice cream.
What apples are best for crumble?
I really like using Granny Smith apples because they are tart and keep their shape well once cooked. Honey Crisp, Fuji and Pink Lady are also good options.
How long does apple crumble last?
The assembled, unbaked crumble will last covered in the fridge for up to two days. You can also freeze the unbaked crumble for up to 3 months then bake from frozen. Baked crumble will last in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Easy caramel apple puff galette
- Classic apple pie with cinnamon cream
- Apple crumble bars with salted caramel
Easy almond apple crumble
- 10 apples peeled and sliced into thin half moons
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- pinch of salt
For the crumble topping
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ cup melted butter
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/390°F.
- Melt the butter in an oven-proof skillet or pan. Add the apples, sugar, salt and vanilla.
- Cook until the apples are starting to soften and their juices are starting to caramelize.
- Combine all the crumble ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Top the apples with the crumble mixture.
- Place in the oven and allow to bake for 20 minutes until golden brown and bubbling.
- Remove from the oven and serve with ice cream.