Creamy cauliflower cheese soup is a delicious, comforting recipe. It’s the perfect easy dinner recipe serve with crusty bread.
Cauliflower soup has got to be one of the most delicious soups out there. I mean, cauliflower is already one of the world’s favorite vegetables because of its versatility and cauliflower soup is no different. This cheesy version is creamy without being heavy and is bound to become a family favorite in no time.
How to make cauliflower cheese soup
- Cauliflower: Roasting the cauliflower before blending into the soup builds flavor and gives the soup an intense, caramelized cauliflower flavor.
- Cook onion and garlic in a splash of oil until soft and translucent. Add peeled and diced potato (this is optional but thickens the soup without the need for flour). Add the spices then pour in the milk and stock. Season to taste and allow to simmer until the potato is cooked. Add the roasted cauliflower and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Blend the soup with a stick blender (or carefully transfer to a blender) until smooth.
- Add the cheese and season with a few teaspoons of lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper then serve.
Freezing and making ahead
- Freezing instructions: Allow blended soup to cool completely then transfer to freezer-safe jars/containers. Freeze for up to 3 months. Allow soup to thaw completely in the fridge before reheating gently in a saucepan and serving.
- Make ahead: This soup can be made and kept covered in the fridge for up to 4 days. Reheat portions in a saucepan or in the microwave oven.
What to serve with cauliflower cheese soup
- Rosemary Pecorino Potato bread
- Swirly garlic rolls
- Cheese and herb Irish soda bread
- Easy garlic butter dinner rolls
Vegetarian soup recipes
- Spiced potato carrot soup
- Creamy mushroom soup
- Easy tomato soup with grilled cheese
- Honey roasted butternut squash soup
Cauliflower cheese soup
Creamy cauliflower cheese soup is a delicious, comforting recipe. It's the perfect easy dinner recipe serve with crusty bread.Print Pin Rate Add to Shopping ListGo to Shopping List
- 1 kg (2lbs) cauliflower
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp salt
For the soup
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 large potatoes peeled and diced
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp paprika
- 3 cups stock/broth
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup cream
- 1-2 tsp lemon juice
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese grated
- ¾ cup Mature / sharp cheddar cheese grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/430°F.
- Combine the cauliflower, olive oil and salt on a large sheetpan. Place in the oven and roast for 30-40 minutes until golden brown and soft.
- Saute the onion and garlic in two tablespoons of butter or oil until soft and translucent.
- Add the potatoes and cook for another 10 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Add the herbs and spices and stir to combine.
- Pour in the milk and stock, season to taste and simmer until the potato is soft.
- Add the roasted cauliflower and cream and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Blend the soup until smooth then add the cheese. Stir until melted.
- Season with lemon, salt and pepper then serve.
Calories: 247kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 22mg | Sodium: 824mg | Potassium: 882mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 12560IU | Vitamin C: 64mg | Calcium: 223mg | Iron: 2mg
My daughter loves this recipe! Can you freeze it?
The cheese and cream might cause the soup to split once thawed.
Very good when prepared as written. Great cold weather comfort food! No guidance in recipe add to how to prepare cauliflower for roasting so I broke it into large florets and it worked fine with 40 minute roasting time.
In the recipe at step 2 you’ll see the instruction to roast the cauliflower with with olive oil and salt for 30-40 minutes. 🙂 Happy you liked the recipe!