This Chai banana bread is ridiculously moist and perfectly flavored with chai spices. Perfect as a snack or breakfast with a cup of coffee.
Full recipe + amounts can be found in the recipe card below.
- Bananas. Use bananas that are very ripe (black skins and soft bananas are best) for best flavor.
- Vanilla extract.
- Baking powder.
- Baking soda.
- Chai spices. You can use a Chai-spice mix but I just used cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom and ginger.
How to make Chai banana bread
- How to make batter: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment beat the butter and sugar until soft and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition and scraping down the bowl. Add the vanilla and mashed bananas and beat in. At this point, the mixture will look curdled but don’t worry. The batter will come together once the flour is added. Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices and salt and mix until the batter is creamy and well-combined.
- Bake: Transfer the batter to a loaf pan lined with parchment paper then slice a banana in half and place on top (optional). Place in a preheated oven and allow to bake for 45-60 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Allow to cool: Remove the banana bread from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes in the loaf pan then remove and allow to cool for at least 20 minutes on a wire rack. The loaf will slice much easier when cool. Slice and serve.
How to store banana bread
- Freeze: To freeze banana bread, allow the baked bread to cool completely then wrap in a layer of parchment paper and a layer of foil. Alternatively, slice and freeze individual slices wrapped in parchment and foil. Allow to thaw completely before serving.
- Storing: Once cool, wrap the banana bread in foil and keep at room temperature for up to 3 days at room temperature.
What can I add to banana bread?
Add 1 cup of any of the following mix-ins:
- Chocolate chips.
Banana bread recipes
Chai banana bread
- ½ cup (125g) butter room temperature
- 1 cup (200g) sugar
- 2 eggs
- 6 bananas (350g) very soft bananas mashed (+1 extra for the top, optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups (250g) flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp ground cardamom
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- Pre-heat the oven to 180ºC/350°F and grease and line a standard size loaf tin (approximatley 20cmx12cm / 9" x 5") with baking paper.
- In the bowl of a mixer, beat the butter and sugar together until light and creamy. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Scrape down the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- Beat in the bananas. At this point, your batter will split and look curdled. Don't be alarmed, the flour will fix that.
- Add the dry ingredients then mix until just combined.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared loaf tin and place in the oven.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Cover with foil halfway to prevent over browning.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool before removing the banana bread from the tin.
- Slice and serve.