Cheesy asparagus tart made with puff pastry is a delicious, easy vegetarian recipe perfect for breakfast, brunch or a fuss-free lunch.
I love simple, easy tarts like this cheesy asparagus tart when I know I have friends coming over for brunch or a casual lunch. I know I can assemble it ahead and bake off quickly before serving with a variety of salads. It makes a fabulous Spring-time dinner too!
It’s also a great way to showcase beautiful, fresh asparagus when it’s in season. The cheesy filling is made with cream cheese which can easily be substituted for fresh ricotta. Parmesan, lemon and thyme add flavor and are the perfect partners for the vibrant, fresh asparagus. Just delicious!
How to make the perfect asparagus tart
Gently roll out a sheet of thawed puff pastry then score around the edge to create a border. Mix cream cheese, egg yolks, Parmesan cheese and seasoning and spread onto the puff pastry. Lay fresh asparagus on top of the cream cheese mixture then season with salt and pepper. Brush the border of pastry with beaten egg and place in a hot oven to bake until the pastry is golden and crisp. Remove from the oven and allow to chill for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
How do you keep puff pastry from getting soggy?
Make sure the filling isn’t too wet and that the bottom element of the oven is hot and pre-heated to ensure the bottom of the pastry bakes into a crisp, golden crust.
Can you make a puff pastry tart ahead of time?
Making a puff pastry tart too far ahead can cause the pastry to go soggy. Instead, prep the tart and keep covered until you’re ready to bake.
What to serve with asparagus tart
- Easy side salad with lemon dressing
- Farmers market salad with buffalo mozzarella
- Marinated zucchini salad with goat’s cheese and pine nuts
Cheesy puff pastry asparagus tart
- 400 g/14oz puff pastry thawed
- 300 g/10oz fresh green asparagus Washed and woody ends trimmed off
- 250 g/approximately 1 cup plain cream cheese
- 2 egg yolks
- 50 g/approximately ½ cup Parmesan cheese grated (add as much or as little as you prefer)
- 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- zest of 1 lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 egg beaten
- Pre-heat the oven to 220ºC/430ºF. Line a baking sheet with baking/parchment paper.
- To make the cheese mixture, combine the cream cheese, egg yolks, Parmesan, thyme, lemon zest, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Gently roll the puff pastry out into a large rectangle (to fit the baking sheet). Score a border around the edge (taking care not to cut all the way through the pastry).
- Spread the cream cheese mixture onto the puff pastry, staying within the borders then top with the asparagus and season with salt and pepper.. Brush the edges of the pastry with beaten egg.
- Place the tart into the oven and allow to bake for 15-20 minutes until the pastry is golden and cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before slicing and serving.