Chicken baked in a rich white wine sauce flavored with garlic and herbs is a perfect easy weeknight recipe.
When you are in search of a quick but absolutely scrumptious dinner, look no further. I made these baked chicken thighs a few nights ago when I had an incredibly hectic day and needed to get dinner on the table, quickly. This is actually the way I love to roast whole chickens the most with the wine, garlic and herbs flavouring the chicken in the most delectable way. However, I just didn’t have time to wait around for a whole chicken to roast so I grabbed a few thighs instead. They were teeny tiny as well so they roasted in no time.
I had a few punnets of fresh herbs in the fridge that needed using up so I used sage, parsley, rosemary and thyme, a few cloves of garlic and a good glug of Sauvignon Blanc. The end result was the type of recipe that makes you lick your plate. The sauce it forms is so good, in fact, that I ate it by the spoonful. I served chicken baked in its scrumptious sauce with steamed broccoli and a loaf of crusty baguette to mop up all the juices. Simply delicious.
How to bake chicken
Sear chicken thighs in an oven-proof pan until golden brown, remove and add the garlic, herbs, wine and cream. Allow to come to a simmer then add the chicken back in the pan and place in the oven to bake for 20-25 minutes (depending on size) or until the chicken is cooked through.
How long to bake chicken thighs
Depending on the size of the chicken thighs, they should take between 20 and 35 minutes when baked at 200ºC/390ºF.
What to serve with baked chicken
- Crispy salt and pepper smashed potatoes
- Easy side salad with lemon dressing
- Creamy potato salad with condensed milk dressing
- Farmers market salad with buffalo mozzarella
Chicken baked with white wine, garlic and herbs
- 8 chicken thighs skin on and bone in
- olive oil/butter for frying
- 3 garlic cloves peeled and finely chopped
- 250 ml white wine
- large handful mixed fresh herbs chopped (I used sage, parsley, thyme and rosemary)
- splash of cream approximately 50-100ml
- salt & pepper to taste
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°c.
- In a large, oven-proof frying pan, melt the butter/heat the oil and fry the chicken until golden brown all over.
- Remove from the pan then add the garlic and allow to fry for a few seconds then pour in the wine, herbs and cream.
- Add the chicken back to the pan then season to taste and place in the oven.
- Allow to bake for 15-20 minutes until cooked through but still juicy.
- Serve with rice/bread to mop up the juices.