Creamy broccoli cheese soup is an easy and delicious dinner recipe the whole family will love. Served with crusty bread, it’s the perfect comfort food.
How to make broccoli and cheese soup
- Prepare the broccoli: Trim the broccoli, removing the stems from the florets. Chop the stems into fine dice. I like to also trim the florets into smaller pieces so they cook faster.
- Make the soup: Saute the onion, broccoli stems and garlic until soft and fragrant. To add even more flavor to this soup, I like using oregano, thyme and paprika. You could use parsley, sage and cayenne pepper too. To thicken the soup, I add a few tablespoons of flour but this is completely optional. For a gluten free variation, add a large grated potato. Add the stock and milk and allow to simmer until the broccoli stems are tender. Add the broccoli florets and cook until tender. Remove the soup from the heat and stir in the cheddar cheese. You can use Gruyere, Monterey Jack or Parmesan instead. Season the soup with salt, pepper and fresh lemon juice before serving.
Making ahead and freezing instructions
- Make ahead: This soup can be made up to 5 days ahead and kept in airtight container in the fridge. Reheat over medium-low heat in a saucepan until hot throughout
- Freezing: Make the soup but leave out the cheese. Allow the soup to cool completely then transfer to freezer-safe containers. Freeze for up to 3 month. Thaw the soup then reheat in a saucepan over medium heat. Once hot, stir in the cheese and serve.
What to serve with broccoli cheese soup
- Easy crusty bread
- Rosemary Pecorino Potato bread
- Cheese and herb Irish soda bread
- Easy garlic butter dinner rolls
Broccoli soup recipes
Easy broccoli cheese soup
Creamy broccoli cheese soup is an easy and delicious dinner recipe the whole family will love. Served with crusty bread, it's the perfect comfort food.Print Pin Rate Add to Shopping ListGo to Shopping List
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 kg (2lbs) broccoli stems finely chopped, florets
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tbsp flour
- 3 cups milk
- 3 cups chicken / vegetable stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1-2 tsp lemon juice
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1½ cups cheddar cheese grated
- Saute the onions and broccoli stems until soft and fragrant.
- Add the garlic, oregano, thyme and paprika and cook for a minute.
- Add the flour and cook for a minute. Pour in the milk and stock and allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the broccoli florets and cook for another 10 minutes until the broccoli is cooked.
- Season with salt, pepper and lemon juice. Remove the soup from the heat, stir in the cheddar cheese. Adjust the seasoning if necessary and serve.
Calories: 201kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 28mg | Sodium: 313mg | Potassium: 601mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 1383IU | Vitamin C: 114mg | Calcium: 413mg | Iron: 2mg
Leave a Reply