This easy Cajun chicken pasta is a weeknight dinner dream. Juicy cajun-spiced chicken on top of creamy pasta is a meal the whole family will love.
- Chicken breasts. Boneless, skinless chicken breasts/fillets.
- Pasta. I used Rigatoni but any short pasta shape will work.
- Cream. Heavy/whipping cream.
- Parmesan cheese.
- Lemon juice.
- Cajun spice/seasoning.
- Salt and pepper.
- Butter + Oil.
- Parsley, for serving.
How to make Cajun chicken pasta
- Prepare the chicken: Place the chicken on a cutting board in front of you and carefully slice each in half, horizontally, resulting in two thin fillets. Season generously on both sides with Cajun seasoning. Heat a large frying pan and add a splash of oil. Add the chicken and cook until golden brown on both sides and cooked through. Remove from the heat and set aside. If the spices have browned too much, wipe the pan out with a piece of paper towel.
- How to make creamy Cajun chicken pasta sauce: Place the pan back over mediumheat and add a tablespoon of butter (or use oil). Add the onion and garlic and cook until soft and translucent. Add 1-2 tsp of Cajun seasoning and pour in the cream and lemon juice. Allow to simmer gently for a few minutes until the sauce coats the back of a spoon. Turn down the heat then add the grated Parmesan cheese. Stir until smooth. Add the cooked pasta and a splash of the reserved cooking water to thin down the sauce if necessary.
- Combine and serve: Slice the chicken breasts and add to the pasta. Serve sprinkled with parsley and extra Parmesan.
Chicken pasta recipes
Easy Cajun chicken pasta
- 4 chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp Cajun seasoning
For the pasta sauce
- 1 tbsp butter
- ½ onion finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 tbsp Cajun seasoning
- 1½ cups cream
- 1-2 tsp lemon juice to taste
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- 500 g (½lb) pasta of your choice
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Halve the chicken breasts horizontally (resulting in two thin fillets) then season generously on both sides with the Cajun seasoning.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add a splash of oil then add the chicken. Cook for a few minutes per side until golden brown and cooked through. Remove and set aside.
- By this time, the water should be boiling. Add the pasta and cook until al dente. Reserve 1 cup of cooking water before draining.
- In the same pan the chicken was cooked in, add the butter, onion and garlic. Cook for a few minutes until soft and translucent.
- Add the Cajun seasoning and stir into the onions. Pour in the cream and lemon juice then bring to a gentle simmer. Cook for a few minutes until the sauce thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon. Reduce the heat and add the Parmesan. Stir until the sauce is smooth then season to taste.
- Toss the drained pasta with the creamy sauce. Add a few tablespoons of pasta water. Stir to coat the pasta in the sauce, and add more water if you want it to be saucier. Feel free to add more grated Parmesan too. Slice the chicken thinly then add to the pasta.
- Serve topped with chopped parsley and extra Parmesan.