This crunchy French toast recipe is the level up your French toast needed. Thick slices of bread is soaked in a simple custard mixture before being coated in corn flakes and fried until golden brown and crisp. It is BEYOND delicious. Trust me!
The ingredients needed for this crunchy French toast recipe are ones you probably have in your kitchen or pantry already. I like using white bread but you could use any bread of your choice. Eggs, milk/cream and a splash of vanilla for the custard and corn flakes for that crisp coating. I like to fry the French toast in both butter and a splash of oil for maximum flavor but you can use either/or. I like serving the French toast with fresh berries, maple syrup and a dusting of icing sugar/powdered sugar.
- Bread. I used white bread that I sliced into 2-3cm/1-inch thick slices. Ciabatta, sourdough or country bread would also be good. I like using day-old bread to allow the custard to soak into the bread and become super creamy.
- Milk/cream. I use cream when I want to make this super rich and decadent but milk or half and half works just as well.
- Vanilla extract.
- Corn flakes.
- Butter / oil for frying. Canola oil or vegetable oil is great for frying.
- Berries, to serve.
- Maple syrup, to serve.
How to make crunch French toast
- Make the custard: In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, milk/cream and vanilla together with a pinch of salt. Place the corn flakes in a wide, shallow dish.
- Soak the bread: Slice the bread into thick slices then dip in the custard mixture, allowing the bread to soak up the custard for a few seconds. Transfer the bread to the dish with the corn flakes. Press the corn flakes into the bread, making sure it’s covered well.
- Fry: Heat a knob of butter and a few tablespoons of oil in a large pan set over medium heat. Cook the French toast in batches for 3-4 minutes per side until golden brown and crisp on both sides.
- Serve: Serve the French toast topped with berries, maple syrup and a dusting of powdered sugar. Serve immediately.
Can I make this ahead?
I wouldn’t recommend making the French toast too far ahead. If you’re feeding a crowd you can cook the French toast and place on a sheet pan then keep in a warm oven until you are ready to serve.
Easy breakfast recipes
Crunchy French Toast
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup milk / cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 4 thick slices of bread
- 3 cups corn flakes
- 2 tbsp butter/oil for frying
- berries for serving
- maple syrup for serving