Made from scratch, this homemade cherry crisp recipe is filled with juicy cherries and topped with a crisp, golden oat and almond crumble scented with cinnamon.
This easy cherry crisp recipe couldn’t be simpler and is a great way to use fresh, frozen or canned cherries. The crisp topping is made with old fashioned rolled oats and flaked almonds.
- Cherries. I used fresh, pitted cherries but you can absolutely make this with frozen or canned cherries too. If using frozen cherries, add another 2 tbsp of cornstarch to allow the filling to thicken as they will release a lot of liquid once baked.
- Brown Sugar.
- Butter. I used salted but you could use unsalted butter too.
- Rolled oatmeal.
- Flaked almonds. Pecans or pistachios will also be delicious.
- Ground cinnamon.
What is the difference between a crisp and a crumble?
A crisp is a baked fruit dessert with a streusel topping containing oats. A crumble is just a crisp without the addition of oats in the topping.
How to make cherry crisp
- Prepare the filling: Making your own filling (instead of using store-bought cherry pie filling) makes all the difference. Pit fresh cherries, if using, and place in a large bowl. Add the sugar, cornstarch and a pinch of salt then mix well. Transfer the cherry filling to a pie dish, cast-iron skillet or suitable baking dish.
- Make the oat streusel topping: In a medium bowl, stir together the rolled oats, flaked almonds, cinnamon, sugar, salt and melted butter until combined. Sprinkle the topping mixture over the cherries.
- Bake: Bake the crisp in a preheated oven for 20-30 minutes until the cherries are soft and juicy, the juices have thickened and the streusel topping is golden brown and crisp. Remove from the oven and allow to chill for 5 minutes then serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream.
What other fruit can I use for a crisp?
Most fruits work well for a crisp. Berries and stone fruit in particular work very well. Blueberries, strawberries, mixed berries, apples, pears, peaches, nectarines and plums are all delicious in a crisp.
Can I make this ahead?
The crisp can be prepared completely and kept in the refrigerator for up to 2 days before baking and serving.
Easy fruit dessert recipes
Easy almond cherry crisp
- 500 g / 1lb cherries pitted
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- pinch of salt
For the crisp
- ½ cup melted butter
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup flaked almonds
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F.
- Place the pitted cherries in a large bowl then add the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Mix well.
- Transfer the filling to a baking dish or pie dish.
- To make the topping, combine the melted butter with the oats, almonds, cinnamon, sugar and salt.
- Sprinkle the topping mixture over the cherries.
- Place the crisp in the preheated oven and allow to bake for 20-30 minutes until the juices have thickened and the toping is golden brown and crisp.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving with ice cream or whipped cream.