Easy jalapeño corn pancakes filled with cheddar cheese, served with sour cream are perfect as an easy breakfast, brunch or lunch recipe.
Corn pancakes, corn fritters, corn cakes. Whatever you call them, we love them. They are one of the recipes that most often make an appearance in our home. This cheesy jalapeño version is fantastic served with bacon for breakfast or brunch or as a casual lunch or snack with sour cream. I’ve also made minis and topped them with a little cream cheese and crispy bacon as an easy appetizer. jalapeño popper corn pancakes? Uh, yes please!
How to make corn pancakes
Make a simple batter by mixing flour, baking powder and salt together then adding milk, eggs and melted butter. Stir in corn kernels, finely chopped jalapeños and grated mature cheddar cheese. Mix until combined then fry spoonfuls of batter in a hot pan until cooked through and golden brown on both sides. You know the pancakes are ready to flip when small bubble appear on the surface of the uncooked side. Continue with the remaining batter then serve the pancakes with sour cream and lemon wedges, for squeezing.
What corn to use for corn pancakes?
Fresh, in-season corn will of course be the most delicious but frozen (thawed before using) or canned (drained before using) corn will work perfectly well in this recipe as well.
Can I freeze corn pancakes?
Yes, they freeze beautifully. Simply layer the cooked pancakes with parchment or wax paper in between and place in a freezer-proof container. Freeze for up to 2 months and thaw completely before serving.
How to re-heat corn pancakes?
A quick way is to stick them in the microwave for 20-30 seconds but heating them through in a hot skillet will result in slightly crispy edges so that’s the way I prefer to re-heat them.
Best pancake recipes
- Easy and healthy banana oat pancakes
- Buttermilk Pancakes
- Wholewheat pumpkin pancakes with salted caramel
- Blueberry Ricotta pancakes
Easy jalapeño corn pancakes
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1½ cups milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 3 cups corn kernels
- 1 cup grated mature cheddar cheese
- 1-2 tbsp jalapeño finely chopped
- Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
- Whisk together the wet ingredients and pour into the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined.
- Fold in the corn, cheese and jalapeños.
- Heat a few tablespoons of oil in a large pan or skillet and fry spoonfuls of the batter until cooked through and golden brown on both sides.
- Remove from the pan and serve with sour cream.