Easy spicy shrimp tacos with fresh avocado and sour cream sauce is the perfect fast dinner recipe and great for feeding a crowd.
I am a taco obsessive. If tacos are on the menu, you can bet I’m going to order them. But as is the case with most things, homemade is always best. These shrimp tacos are embarrassingly easy to make and have been a hit every single time I’ve served them. The spicy shrimp are juicy and seasoned perfectly and with the creamy avocado, crunchy cabbage and easy sour cream taco sauce, ensures a flavor explosion with every bite.
How to make shrimp tacos
Season shrimp with taco seasoning of your choice then cook in a hot pan until cooked through and golden brown on both sides. To make the sour cream taco sauce, combine finely chopped cilantro/coriander, crushed garlic, lime or lemon juice and sour cream and season with salt and pepper. Heat flour or corn tortillas in a hot pan then top with shredded cabbage, sliced avocado, spicy shrimp and sour cream sauce. Finish with finely chopped chilli peppers and fresh cilantro/coriander.
How to cook shrimp for tacos
Pan-frying or grilling shrimp is the best way to cook shrimp for tacos. Season or marinate peeled shrimp (prawns) in olive oil, lemon or lime juice, taco seasoning, Mexican oregano, chile (chilli) powder and ground cumin. Grill in a stove top grill pan or fry in a large, hot frying pan or skillet until the shrimp are golden brown on both sides. The shrimp is cooked when the flesh is opaque white throughout.
How to make shrimp taco sauce
Combine sour cream with finely chopped cilantro (fresh coriander), crushed garlic, lemon or lime juice and season with salt and pepper. You can add any herbs and spices you have on hand. Ground cumin, coriander, paprika and red pepper flakes (chilli flakes) all work well.
What to serve with shrimp tacos
- Easy garlic butter shrimp and rice
- Jalapeño lemon butter shrimp on polenta
- Easy lemon pepper shrimp
- Creamy lemon garlic shrimp pasta
- White wine garlic shrimp
Easy spicy shrimp tacos
For the spicy shrimp
- 500 g / 1lb shrimp deveined and peeled
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lime/lemon juice
- 2 tsp taco seasoning
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp chilli flakes / red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp salt
For the shrimp tacos
- flour/corn tortillas heated
- cabbage shredded
- avocado sliced
- fresh cilantro/coriander
- sliced chillies / chile peppers
For the sour cream taco sauce
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ cup cilantro / coriander finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place the shrimp in a large bowl and add the oil, lemon/lime juice and spices. Mix well to coat the shrimp in the spices and set aside.
- Make the taco sauce by combining all the ingredients.
- Cook the shrimp in a large, hot pan or griddle pan for 1-2 minutes per side or until cooked through and golden brown on both sides.
- Assemble the tacos by topping warmed tortillas with shredded cabbage, sliced avocado, spicy shrimp and sour cream sauce. Finish with fresh coriander/cilantro and finely sliced chillies.