This flourless double chocolate banana bread recipe is the most delicious, easy and healthy treat and is fantastic for breakfast.
Table of Contents
- Bananas. For this recipe, you don’t want overly ripe bananas like you would usually use for banana bread. Ripe bananas that aren’t too soft are perfect here.
- Milk. I used cow’s milk but you can use any milk of your choice. Oat milk, almond milk or cashew milk will all work well.
- Oil. I used canola oil but melted coconut oil or avocado oil can be substituted.
- Sugar. Unrefined brown sugar adds delicious caramel notes but use any sugar of your choice. Keep in mind that something like coconut sugar is much less sweet than regular sugar so you might need to use a little more.
- Oat flour.
- Baking powder.
- Cocoa powder.
- Chocolate chips/chocolate chunks.
How to make chocolate banana bread
Mash the bananas with a fork in a large mixing bowl then whisk in the eggs, milk, oil and sugar. Stir in the oat flour, baking powder and salt. Sift in the cocoa powder then fold in with the chocolate chips.
Grease and line a loaf pan with parchment paper then pour in the batter. Add more chocolate chips to the top (optional) then place in a preheated oven. bake for 45-60 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. If the top of the banana bread browns too quickly, cover loosely with foil then continue baking until fully cooked. Remove the banana bread from the oven and allow to cool on a wire rack before slicing and serving.
Can I make this ahead?
Slices of the banana bread can be frozen wrapped in parchment paper and foil for up to 3 months. Leftovers can be tightly wrapped in foil and kept at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Banana bread recipes
- 6 bananas (approximately 500g)
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup (125ml) milk
- 3 tbsp (45ml) oil
- 1 cup (200g) sugar
- 2 cups (225g) oat flour
- 2½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup (30g) cocoa powder
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 170°C/340°F. Grease and line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Mash the bananas in a large mixing bowl then whisk in the eggs, milk , oil and sugar.
- Stir in the oat flour, baking powder and salt.
- Sift in the cocoa powder to get rid of any lumps.
- Fold the cocoa powder and chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan then place into the preheated oven.
- Bake the banana bread for 45-60 minutes until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- If the bread browns too quickly, cover loosely with foil and continue baking until fully cooked.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool on a wire rack before slicing and serving.