This easy grain salad with green olives, feta cheese and cucumber is a delicious lunch recipe and great as a side dish to your favorite protein.
Table of Contents
- Bulgur wheat. Any grain of your choice can be used. Quinoa, barley, farro, freekeh, brown rice will all be delicious.
- Green olives.
- Feta cheese. Use Greek feta in brine.
- Fresh herbs: Basil, chives, parsley.
- For the dressing: Olive oil, fresh lemon juice, fresh garlic clove, salt and black pepper.
How to make grain salad
Cook the grains according to package instructions. I cooked the bulgur wheat in chicken stock for a boost of flavor but feel free to use water or vegetable stock/broth. Once cooked, allow the grain to cool to room temperature then add to a large mixing bowl. Add the chopped cucumber and feta cheese, halved olives and fresh herbs. Mix the dressing ingredients in a small bowl then pour over the salad. Toss to combine then serve.
Can I make this ahead?
Grain salads are fantastic to meal prep ahead or make the day before a party. This salad can be fully prepped up to 3 days ahead and kept in an airtight container in the fridge.
What to serve with grain salad
I love serving this green olive salad bulgur wheat salad with grilled chicken, fish or pork as a simple but delicious summer meal. This also makes a delicious vegetarian lunch or light meal on its own.
Easy grain salads
Green olive grain salad
- 6 cups cooked grains I used bulgur wheat
- 2 cups green olives pitted
- 3 cups cucumber chopped
- 1 cup feta cheese cubed
- 1-2 cups fresh herbs I used 1 cup of fresh basil leaves and quarter cup each chopped parsley and chopped chives
For the dressing
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 2-3 tsp salt
- 1-2 tsp black pepper
- Cook the grains to package instructions. Once cooked, allow to cool to room temperature.
- Transfer the cooked grains to a large mixing bowl then add the chopped cucumber and feta cheese. Add the olives and herbs.
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients in a small bowl then pour over the salad.
- Pour the dressing over the salad, toss to combine then serve.