Easy Greek orzo salad recipe with Kalamata olives, feta cheese, fresh tomatoes, cucumber and al dente orzo dressed with a homemade Greek vinaigrette. This is a crowd-pleasing side dish, perfect for picnics and makes a fantastic meal prep lunch.
Table of Contents
- Orzo. Most supermarkets stock Orzo but any pasta rice will work.
- Kalamata olives.
- Feta cheese. Use Greek feta cheese if possible. Crumbled feta unfortunately is never as delicious as Greek feta in brine but can be used in a pinch.
- Tomatoes. I used ripe cherry tomatoes but any variety of tomatoes will be delicious.
- Red onion.
- Optional: Feel free to add other veggies chopped bell peppers.
- For the Greek salad dressing: Extra virgin olive oil, red wine vinegar, fresh lemon juice, fresh garlic clove, dried oregano, salt and black pepper.
How to make Greek orzo salad
Cook the orzo in a large pot of salted, boiling water until al dente (approximately 10 minutes or according to package instructions). Drain the pasta then rinse with cold water and set aside. Chop the cucumber, tomatoes and red onion then remove the stones from the olives (if you aren’t using pitted olives). Cube the feta cheese then add all the ingredients to a large bowl with the orzo. Make the dressing by whisking together all the ingredients. You can also shake all the ingredients together in a jar and keep the dressing in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Pour the dressing over the salad then toss well to combine. Serve immediately.
What to serve with Greek orzo pasta salad
Any protein of your choice will be great to serve with this salad. Grilled chicken, pork, lamb or steak will be delicious.
Can I make this ahead?
This is a great make-ahead side dish or meal prep recipe. The salad can be prepared up to 3 days in an advance but I would suggest only adding the dressing before you are ready to serve. If meal prepping, pour the dressing into the bottom of an airtight container then add the orzo and top with the salad ingredients then cover with a lid and place in the fridge. This will prevent the tomatoes and cucumber from going soggy.
Orzo salad recipes
Easy Greek Orzo Salad
- 500 g (1lb) orzo pasta
- 1 large English cucumber
- 500 g (1lb) cherry tomatoes
- 1 red onion
- 200 g (7oz) kalamata olives
- 200 g (7oz) feta cheese
For the dressing
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2-3 tbsp fresh lemon juice to taste
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add the orzo and cook for 8-10 minutes (or according to package instructions) until the orzo is al dente.
- Drain the pasta then rinse with cold water and set aside.
- Chop the cucumber, tomatoes and red onion then remove the stones from the olives (if you aren't using pitted olives).
- Cube the feta cheese then add all the ingredients to a large bowl with the orzo.
- Make the dressing by whisking together all the ingredients. You can also shake all the ingredients together in a jar and keep the dressing in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Pour the dressing over the salad then toss well to combine. Serve immediately.