This is a great way to use up left-over roasted Brussels sprouts. Combine them with bacon in a creamy sauce for the ultimate macaroni and cheese.
Full Brussels Sprouts Macaroni Cheese recipe can be found in the recipe card.
- Brussels sprouts. I always use leftover roasted brussels sprouts.
- Cheese sauce. I use my bechamel sauce recipe and add loads of sharp cheddar cheese.
- Bacon. I prefer using streaky bacon as it crisps up perfectly.
- Cheese. I use a combination of cheddar and mozzarella but gruyere, Parmesan or Swiss cheese will also work.
How to make Brussels sprouts macaroni and cheese
- Make the cheese sauce: In a large saucepan set over medium heat, melt the butter. Whisk in the flour and allow to cook for a minute or two then slowly start whisking in the milk. Reduce the heat and allow to simmer gently for 10 minutes until thick and smooth. Add the cheese and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg then remove from the heat and allow the cheese to melt.
- Assemble mac and cheese: Combine the cheese sauce with cooked macaroni, roasted brussels sprouts and crispy bacon. Transfer to a baking dish or casserole dish and top with the grated cheese.
- Bake: Place in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes until hot, golden and bubbling. Remove from the heat and allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Can I make this ahead?
The cheese sauce can be made and kept in the fridge up to 4 days in advance. The mac and cheese can be assembled, covered well and refrigerated for up to 3 days or frozen for up to 3 months.
Thanksgiving leftover recipes
Macaroni and Cheese with brussels sprouts and bacon
This is a great way to use up left-over roasted brussels sprouts. Combine them with bacon in a creamy sauce and bake with macaroni until crisp and golden.Print Pin Rate Add to Shopping ListGo to Shopping List
for the cheese sauce
- 125 g (1 stick) butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 litre milk heated with 1 bay leaf 5 black peppercorns and a garlic clove
- 150 g (5oz) mature cheddar cheese grated
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
for the mac & cheese
- 500 g (1lb) macaroni cooked
- 2-3 cups roasted brussels sprouts
- 250 g (½lb) packet bacon chopped and fried
- 1 cup grated cheese for the topping
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/350°F.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan then whisk in the flour.
- Slowly whisk in the milk and allow to simmer gently for 10 minutes until thick and glossy.
- Add the cheese and remove the saucepan from the heat.
- Season with salt and pepper and add the nutmeg.
- Combine the cooked pasta with the sauce then mix in the brussels sprouts and bacon.
- Transfer the pasta to a casserole dish and top with the remaining cheese then place in the oven.
- Allow to bake for 15-20 minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbling.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes then serve.
Calories: 461kcal | Carbohydrates: 73g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 26mg | Sodium: 168mg | Potassium: 336mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 472IU | Vitamin C: 25mg | Calcium: 212mg | Iron: 2mg
Leave a Reply