These mini hasselback potatoes are the cute, easy and totally delicious. Served with zesty sour cream dip, it’s the perfect appetizer for a crowd.
I love me a crispy potato. But I also love when potatoes are perfectly baked and all soft and fluffy. These adorable little hasselbacks are the perfect combination. Their crisp, golden exteriors give way to a soft, fluffy middle. I mean. They are delicious as a simple side dish but served with my easy sour cream dip, they are the appetizer to beat all appetizers. ESPECIALLY when you need to feed a crowd. Simply bang a whole lot of them in the oven and hey presto! Appetizers are ready!
How to cut hasselback potatoes
The easiest way to cut hasselback potatoes is to use a sharp knife and make deep cuts while taking care not to cut all the way through. If you struggle with this, place two chopsticks on either side of the potato. This will act as a barrier for the knife. The thinner you make the cuts, the crispier the edges of the potatoes will become once baked.
Reheating and making ahead
You can prepare the hasselbacks up to 2 hours ahead and bake before serving. To speed up the baking process, you can par-boil the potatoes the day before and keep them in the fridge. Then simply slice, season and bake until golden and crisp. Baked hasselback potatoes can be reheated in a hot oven for 10-20 minutes until hot throughout.
- Spiced potato carrot soup
- Twice baked potatoes
- Crispy salt and pepper smashed potatoes
- Easy spicy garlic baked potato wedges
Mini hasselback potatoes
- 1 kg (2lbs) baby potatoes / new potatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
For the sour cream dip
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp parsley finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F.
- Make cuts into each potato, taking care not to cut all the way through.
- Toss the potatoes with oil, salt and pepper.
- Place on a roasting tray and insert into the oven.
- Bake for 30-45 minutes until the potatoes are golden brown, crisp and cooked through.
- To make the dip, combine all the ingredients and mix well.
- Serve the cooked potatoes with sour cream dip.