Thai Chicken Meatball Curry with Jasmine Rice
Autumn must be one of my absolute favourite seasons. I love that the mornings and evenings have a proper chill in the air while the afternoons are pleasantly warm. It is however a bit of a tricky season when it comes to food as you need something that is comforting without being heavy like a proper curry, stew or pie.
This Thai meatball curry is exactly that. The fresh and zingy flavours work so perfectly well with the coconut milk and chicken meatballs and results in a meal that is comforting and warming without leaving you feeling weighed down.
I like to make my own chicken mince by placing free-range chicken breasts in my food processor and blending until finely chopped. This way I have control over the texture and I know the ‘mince’ is as fresh as can be.
To add flavour and nutrients to the curry, I like to add julienned carrot, fine green beans and baby corn but feel free to use whichever vegetables you want/have in your house. Bok choy, broccoli, sugar snap peas and peppers will all be lovely in this curry.
for the meatballs
500g chicken mince
1 tsp red thai curry paste
50g panko bread crumbs (regular breadcrumbs will also be fine)
3 tbsp fresh coriander, finely chopped
1 tbsp fish sauce
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp salt
for the curry
2 large carrots, julienned
2 tsp red thai curry paste
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tin coconut milk
1 tin chicken stock (I use the same tin the coconut milk came in)
2 tbsp fish sauce
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tsp sugar (optional)
1 red chilli, finely chopped (optional)
250g fine green beans
250g baby corn
steamed jasmine rice
fresh chilli and fresh coriander
- To make the meatballs, combine the chicken mince with all the other ingredients and with wet hands (this helps to keep the chicken from sticking to your hands), form golf-ball sized meatballs.
- Place the meatballs on a tray lined with clingwrap.
- Heat a large frying pan and fry the meatballs in batches in canola oil until they are browned all over. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- When all the meatballs are browned, fry the carrots and curry paste in the same pan until the paste starts sticking to the bottom of the pan. Add the garlic, fry for 10 seconds and add the coconut milk and chicken stock. Add the fish sauce, soy sauce, sugar and chilli and stir.
- Add the meatballs back into the pan.
- Allow to simmer for 10 minutes before adding the green beans and baby corn. If you want your curry to be a little thicker, mix 2 tsp corn flour with 2 tsp of cold water and add to the curry.
- Allow the curry to simmer for 10 minutes until the green beans and baby corn are cooked.
- Serve the curry with steamed jasmine rice topped with extra sliced chillies and fresh coriander.